Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Carolyn O'Flaherty

Default Family Tree Maker

Hello,

Most of my extensive family history is recorded on a PAF Family Tree. I also have the companion report maker programme.

I have a subscription to A*try and have some of my family info is on a A*try family tree. I like that I can search A*try and directly attach infomation such as Census returns to my A*try family tree.

I've been having a dabble in the A*try section called "Print & Share" - subsection, Project then Family History Book. I started a family history book "project" and I really like how the book is being automatically set out ie , timelines, automatically including data from my tree and also including images of Census Reports etc. with good summaries and family group set outs.

I think I have (at least) 2 problems (Well..... I've got more than that but I'm only talking about writing my family history for the moment).

1. I don't think I can import my PAF information to my A*try family tree

2. If I stop subscribing to A*try then it seems that I won't have access to the Family history book I am compiling.

I have had a look at A*try's Family Tree Maker programme and it seems it would give me direct access to A*try searches. I could also export my PAF data to FTM and I could access the project section for my ongoing famiily history book. BUT if I stop subscribing to A*try I will lose access to my book. I could print it out but I wouldn't be able to add to it via a programme.

I've had a look at The Master Genaelogist programme and I am impressed by the extensive reports and analysis that can be generated. I would like to get into that sort of thing.

I see TMG also has a book publishing feature but it doesn't seem to be in a similar style to the A*try. one, but at least I would always have the TMG one.

Does anyone know if there is a way to import data directly from A*try to The Master Genaelogist ie the Census Reports and whether I could write a family history book with TGM in a similar style to A*try one?

It is now past midnight in Australia so I hope to above makes sense.

I'm hoping the answer won't be "you can't have everything, Carolyn" but will be "of course you can do that, Carolyn, just do X,Y & Z and it will only take a minute"

Regards,

Carolyn

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Carolyn

The usual way to move data from one program to another is by GEDCOM, though some programs are able to read the native file format used by others. Having said that, I'm not sure how the A*y FH Book handles things - I would expect there to be an option to export a GEDCOM somewhere, but this would almost certainly consist of the basic data only, and not any of the reports you've created within A*y. (The same would apply with a transfer between desktop programs.)

A lot of programs are able to create books of some kind, though it's not a feature that I have much experience of. As for the programs themselves, TMG is said to be very capable but quite complex. FTM is updated nearly every year, and the general feeling that I pick up is that the newer versions aren't the best. Two programs that I have used are Legacy and RootsMagic, which I would say both fall between TMG and FTM in terms of features, and I think both can create books with a variety of reports. Of the two I think I would say RootsMagic is easier to use, but you can have a free trial of both, so you can see if you like them. Legacy v.7 came out a few months ago, and RM v.4 is in its final stages of development and testing, but if you bought v.3 now (from the RM website - not sure about other outlets) you would get a free upgrade in due course.

Arthur

Mutley

I have had a look at A*try's Family Tree Maker programme and it seems it would give me direct access to A*try searches. I could also export my PAF data to FTM and I could access the project section for my ongoing famiily history book. BUT if I stop subscribing to A*try I will lose access to my book. I could print it out but I wouldn't be able to add to it via a programme.
    From FTM you can have direct access to A*try searches and merge the information you find into FTM. You can export all the data you have on A*try now into FTM.
    You can create a book in FTM (though I admit I have not yet done that) and if you did that you would not need the book in A*try should you stop transcribing.

I think that is one of the ways that A*try keep people subscribing because people do not want to lose their trees, pictures and books.

I don't know about the other programs, I have not tried them.

Procat

TMG will accept imports from FTM however I am not aware that it will accept imports from Ancestry.

You would need to download from Ancestry to FTM them move to TMG. An expensive exercise if nothing else if you do not already own FTM. There is also the possibility of data not moving in the way you intended and the need to undertake a manual cleanup exercise.

Call me old fashioned but I would NEVER rely solely on a web site to maintain my data. There are too many possibilities for disaster such as the company going broke etc. Having said that it may be a good way to backup data in addition to burning to a CD/DVD or hard drive etc.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    AFTM is updated nearly every year, and the general feeling that I pick up is that the newer versions aren't the best.

FTM's a good programme (I've been using it for years) but the clever trick is to ignore the regular updates unless and until they include a feature you want. I'm still using FTM2005 and don't plan to change because I understand that the newer versions have lost one of the reasons I like it - the "everyone in the database" tree - wonderfully useful for a OPS.

If you check the discount bins in computer shops, you can often find older versions of genealogy programmes going very cheap. I remember buying a copy of FTM 2005 for my brother for about 5 quid.

As I've said on another thread, I prefer to use a Dest Top Publishing programme for generating books - copy/pasting trees from FTM, and photos and text from their their appropriate programmes. It's much more flexible, and I retain control over the layout, etc.
    AND it all stays on my own computer (and a backup external hard disc I keep at work)
    Lesley

Carolyn O'Flaherty

Default Family Tree Maker - booking publishing

Thank you for your replies, Mutley, Arthur, Doug & Lesley. They were helpful in getting my head around what features I prefer.

I did end up buying the FTM - Australian version, today because I like being able to directly attach records from A*try to my FTM family tree without being tied to A*try forever.

My family history records on my PAF programme exported to FTM very well. Only a few minor tidy-ups.

I'm disappointed with the book publishing side of FTM because it doesn't have itws own book publishing feature. What has to happen is that I must export my FTM information onto my A*try family tree and then publish the book through the A*try programme. The "book" in progress can then only be saved on A*try and not on FTM.

I want to include birth, marriage & death certificates in my book but I won't be uploading them to the A*try book, so I won't be continuing with the A*try book. It will be a waste of effort.

So........I have some of what I wanted, but not all. I might have to get a desktop publishing programme later on.

So....... I have some of what I want but not all. Enough to go on with anyway.

Thanks again for your help

Regards

Carolyn

wedob

Default A long winded answer

Hi
    I too wondered about writing up my research on FTM into a book. My answer was to download Register Reports into RTF format, which is then ok for use as a Word document. I found this a great way of getting basic data ready to be put into any 'prose' setting relevant for the family you are writing about. In my case this has meant researching areas, occupations etc to get a bigger picture - I know I could put this all onto FTM, but I found it better to put it into my word file.
    Brian

Carolyn O'Flaherty

Default Family Tree Maker - book publising

Quote Originally Posted by wedob View Post
    Hi
    I too wondered about writing up my research on FTM into a book. My answer was to download Register Reports into RTF format, which is then ok for use as a Word document. I found this a great way of getting basic data ready to be put into any 'prose' setting relevant for the family you are writing about. In my case this has meant researching areas, occupations etc to get a bigger picture - I know I could put this all onto FTM, but I found it better to put it into my word file.
    Brian
    \

Thank you Brian. That is a very good idea, I think I will follow your advice.

I love the automatic formatting of the book publishing feature on A*try but I won't be using it because it ties me to A*try too much.

Today I have received the FTM 2009 UK version. I had to get that because the other 2009 one I have (Australian version) has a huge amount of American history, in the timeline section, , ie the "1930 dustbowl" in USA. Not so relevant to my mob in UK.

I've been advised the UK version has a lot more UK history in the timeline. I'll install it today so I hope the advice was right.

regards,

Carolyn

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Compiling a book

I have Rootsmagic as mentioned by Arthur but I'm completely intimidated on how to make a book out of the information stored. I really do not find the tutorial very good as it does not show examples of what can be done.

I have run off excellent narrative reports which are great for sitting in an arm chair with multiple cups of coffee over the space of several hours but.... how can I get this condensed into a book? Which report is used in the chapters that are made? Maybe my dreams are too big. How detailed can these books be?

If I buy desktop publisher software will it have a simple easy to follow tutorial? I am a little challenged in this area, I must admit.

Meanwhile I keep compiling information and continue telling my relatives every year that I am making a book which one day they will receive.
    Marj

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Books in RootsMagic

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    I have Rootsmagic as mentioned by Arthur but I'm completely intimidated on how to make a book out of the information stored. I really do not find the tutorial very good as it does not show examples of what can be done.

I have run off excellent narrative reports which are great for sitting in an arm chair with multiple cups of coffee over the space of several hours but.... how can I get this condensed into a book? Which report is used in the chapters that are made? Maybe my dreams are too big. How detailed can these books be?
    I'm not vastly experienced in this as I've only done it once, but it seemed relatively straightforward. In RM v.3, click on Reports > Publisher and then you get to choose exactly what goes into your book. Mine was based on Family Group Sheets, with a few text pages and a pedigree chart, but if you click Add a Chapter you can see that there are many other options. You can also use Placeholders for where you insert pages created in another program. Probably the best thing is to try various options and see if you can get it to do what you want.

There's going to be a new version of RootsMagic before long, and according to teasers which have been put out on the publisher's blog, creating reports and publishing books should be easier in v.4, and possibly with extra styles of report to choose from.

Arthur
    Last edited by arthurk; 06-01-2009 at 7:44 PM. Reason: Added title

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast