Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: London Property

Aragina

Default London Property

How do I find out who owned a specific property in London in the middle of the 1880's. Property was in St James Westminster.

Regards

Jenny

Colin Moretti

Default Probably with great difficulty!

Hello Jenny

Remember that property ownership in the 19c was much less common than today, most people rented, and large parts of Westminster were (and still are, I believe) owned by the aristocracy, eg Duke of Westminster’s Grosvenor Estate.

My first suggestion is to contact the Westminster City Archives, they might well be able to tell you if the address that you are interested in is part of one of the estates referred to above. They might also have reference to it in their deeds card index. Another possibility might be rate books, although I cannot say what records WMC have for the period of interest; you would probably need to search the rate books yourself or pay to have someone do it for you.
    https://www.westminster.gov.uk/archives/

As Westminster was part of the ancient county of Middlesex, if the property has been sold between 1709 and 1938 then the transaction is likely to feature in the Middlesex Deeds Registry. Unfortunately unless you know the year in which it was sold it’s almost impossible to find details, the deeds register is indexed by the first-named vendor on an annual basis. Ideally you need to know the vendor’s name but with a little luck you might just find the entry if you know the year, but it’s a major task. The index is not searchable online, it can only be accessed on microfilm at the London Metropolitan Archives, which also has the registers on microfilm. If you do find an entry of interest it can yield a great deal of information. More can be found on the LMA website, they have a downloadable (pdf) leaflet on the Registers:
    https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/leisu...galleries/lma/

Good luck

Colin

Default post Office or Kelly's Directory

You could try looking in the London Directories - by this time there was a street directory with the occupier listed for most areas. They have them in the library of the Society of Genealogists and most local history or reference libraries have ones that are of their local area - you could look at Archive CD Books website and see if they have any London directories for sale on CD too, I can't remember because Westminster is not where my ancestors were in London but I have found mine on Blackfriars Road and London Road in the 1860s and 1870s so give the directories a shot
    Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Aragina

Default Thank you

Ah well a trip up to london for a few days I guess, could turn into a week or 2 LOL. Will have to save up for that option though. Thanks very much though, at least I have a place to start with William Taylor (My brick wall)

Regards

jenny

Ron Leech

Quote Originally Posted by Aragina
    at least I have a place to start with William Taylor (My brick wall)
    jenny
    Jenny tell us what you know about your William Taylor, you never know.....

Aragina

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Leech
    Jenny tell us what you know about your William Taylor, you never know.....
    Now please do remember you did ask *grin*

Marriage St Annes Limehouse, Middx Aug 21 1862, by Licence

William Taylor, Batchelor, Provison Merchant of St James Westminster Father John Taylor Farmer.
    Louisa Victoria Nightingale Spinster of St Annes Limehouse Father George Henry Nightingale Merchant Taylor

Cert in front of me

1871 Census
    Provisions merchant 44 St James Westminster
    11 Vigo St St James Westminster

(Had living with him John W Guyer Nephew born Paddington relevent later perhaps)

RG10/133 folio 17 page 1 ED 1

1881 Poulterer 56 London Middx
    75 Lwr Tulse Hill, Lambeth
    RG11 0616 Folio16 page 23 page ED 14

1891 Game dealer (Fish) 65 Westminster London
    109 Tulse Hill Lambeth
    RG12/412 Folio 41 Page 19 ED 26

1901 Provision Merchant Trade Employer Westminster London 76
    19 Acre lane Brixton Lambeth
    RG13/426 Folio 145 Page 14 ED 18

I have his son my G Grandfather and future daughter in law in 11 Vigo street Westminster in 1891. Herbert was disinherited for marrying the family servant :-(. (Oral history)

William seems to have had enough money to have several servants as seen on all Censu's.

His wifes sister Eleanor married a George Guyer in 1875 so I find the reference to a nephew John W Guyer age 22 in 1871 a problem, an idea it may be William's sister who also married a Guyer. Need to check out Parish records as I can't find a John W born Paddington or a George for that matter (George Eleanors husband), seems likely they were brothers. I seem to lose him before his marriage and as I have several choices of christenings to chose from in Westminster I need more information than I presently have. I have just found his death cert so need to get that Certificate and find his will. Maybe some information there. I need time inLondon but have niether the money or fitness to travel for several days at a time:-(

Thanks for your help :-)

Regards

Jenny
    Last edited by Aragina; 08-02-2005 at 7:06 PM.

Ron Leech

Talking

Sadly not one of my Taylor's Does it give an age for William Taylor on the marriage certificate? According to the various census information he was born 1825 to 1827 in Wesminster. Interesting that his father John Taylor is listed as a farmer, pity it doesn't say where the farm was.

As Colin Moretti says the LMA is probably the best bet.

You seem to have 2 other problems the births of John W Guyer and George Guyer. Again research using the books at the Family Records Centre (about 250 yards away from the LMA) rather than those available over the Internet may help. Neither of these chaps show up in Greater London in the 1881 census, although quite a few Guyers are listed but none that I could see born in Paddington the nearest are Marylebone. Looking at their respective marriages in my experience it is not uncommon for families to intermarry.

I don't seem to have taken you much closer to the target but someone else may be able to shed more light on them.

Aragina

Default Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Leech
    Does it give an age for William Taylor on the marriage certificate?
    Thank you so much for your help

It gives that delightful "Full age" on the Marriage certificate.

Will have to trawl through the 1841-1861 census's and parish records not recorded in IGI plus any directorys I can find for both William Taylor and George Henry Nightingale. I might come up with something. Are any of those census indexed for St James Westminster?

Are there merchant bodies in London I can write to or look at records???

Does the blue book 1860 that CD archives sell cover St James , Limehouse and camberwell?

Regards

Jenny

Judy M

Smile Place search in London

Jenny
    A resource that I found useful was a search of "The Times" Digital archives when it was available as a freebee at one time. Actually putting the London address in the search terms came up with some great results!

At least I found how many times my ancestor Charles HANDFORD turned over staff at 65 High Holborn---from advertisements and also when he finally sold his business and retired.
    You may find that a library/university close to you has a subscription that you can use online, or you can request a free trial.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Just checked my Marylebone 1861 Census which covers parts of Westminister, there is a James Miles 54 Butterman living at 11 Vigo Street with 2 servants, no sign of a Taylor or Nightingale in the street. I haven't a surname index but if you come up with any address I will look up for you.
    Keith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast