Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Peph

Default Gobby and Chantrell

I have discovered that my fair haired, blue eyed line of East End Londoners were descended from a Domenick Gobby who had been born in 1780 in "foreign parts." Since one of his sons was named Alexander Antonio I'm tempted to think he may have originated in Italy.

Another of his sons - my 3X great grandfather, Charles Gobby, married a lady called Isabella Chantrell - which makes me wonder whether there could have been French or Belgian blood (so much more interesting than just English, I feel).

Does anyone know the provenance of either of these surnames?

ElaineMaul

Hi,
    I have just discovered that I am also descended from Charles Gobby and Isabella Chantrell. One of their other children was Eleanor Sarah Gobby, born 24 May 1834. I am descended from her.
    I have just checked the relationship ....... Charles Gobby is also my 3 times great grandfather.
    No idea what that makes our relationship though

I have found Isabella on the 1841 census as a 30 year old, so I guess she was born around 1811 although if the age of 30 is rounded up or down, I guess that could be between 1805 and 1815? I can't seem to find her birth. If she is French or Belgium, might she be Catholic?

Elaine

Peph

Default Blimey!

Well, Elaine - I'm delighted to make your acquaintance!

I have my tree on ancestry.com, and will happily invite you to it if you'd let me have your email address. Mine is sds AT pefinf DOT com, and my name is Stephanie.

My great grandmother, Isabella Gobby, was the illegitimate daughter of Ellenor (sic) Sarah Gobby, who was the daughter of Charles Gobby and Isabella Chantrell. Isabella Chantrell's parents were Joseph Chantrell and Phoebe Fisher. I've always assumed that the Chantrells must have been French or Belgian - perhaps having come over when so many Hugenots did in the 17th Century - which I think would mean that they wouldn't have been Catholic (although my historical knowledge is somewhat shaky, so please do correct me if I'm wrong). Charles Gobby's father was Dominick Gobby, born in about 1780 in "foreign parts," which I imagine to have meant Italy though, again, I could be mistaken.

So where do YOU fit in? I know that Ellenor Sarah Gobby married after Isabella's birth - first to Robert Burrows, by whom she had Harriet Eliza and Robert Henry, and then to William Willeter, by whom she had Louisa Maria. I'm guessing that you're descended from one of these. I'm pretty certain that Robert Burrows wasn't her father, since she seems to have been farmed out at one stage of her life to stay with relatives. Yet again, though, this is only an assumption.

Anyway, I'd love you to take a look at the tree - I've worked on it extensively, and never give up hope that more information will become available in time.

I really, really look forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes,

Stephanie De-Sykes
    Last edited by Jan1954; 22-10-2009 at 3:28 PM. Reason: Email address disguised in the never-ending war against spammers

ElaineMaul

Hi Stephanie,
    I am also very delighted to make your acquaintance!

As you say, Eleanor Sarah Gobby married Robert Burrows in 1850. One of their daughters was Harriett Eliza Burrows, born 6 June 1851 in Saffron Hill, Holborn. She married Thomas Peak on 15th May 1871 at St Giles, Cripplegate, City of London. Their 3rd child was Harriett Elizabeth Peak, born around 1876. I haven't been able to track down her birth certificate. I had to get the details of the parents by getting the birth certificate of a younger child, William, born 4 Feb 1881. Somewhere between 1881 and 1891 they moved to Tottenham, North London. They are in Tottenham in the 1891 census. Harriett Elizabeth Peak married James Lawrence in Edmonton, Middlesex on 20 Sep 1896. The 2nd child was also James Lawrence, my grandfather, although I never knew him, born 1st April 1899. He married my grandmother, Kathleen McCarthy, in Tottenham on 20 Apr 1924. My Dad, their 4th child was born in 1931. My Dad married my mum in Enfield in 1957 and I was born in 1959. Technically I was born in Edmonton ...... North Middlesex hospital, but all my younger days were spent in Tottenham.

Think that just about sums it up!! Although ask away if you want any other information.

I'm afraid I don't have photos of my Dad's Dad, James, and his Aunts and Uncles (James' siblings). My Nan and granddad split up when my Dad was in his early teens, just after the war. In fact, that's not quite true ...... I do have a copy of my grandparents' wedding photograph. James Lawrence's Mum ie Harriett Elizabeth Lawrence nee Peak looks rather a formidable woman in that photo! I have been told by my Dad's sister that she ruled the family with a rod of iron. Several of her 8 children either didn't marry or married late ..... her influence? I don't know! Only my grandfather and one other actually married and had children!

Elaine
    Last edited by Jan1954; 22-10-2009 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Details of potentially living people removed - please read AUP

ElaineMaul

PS Thank you for the email address. I have just sent you an email.

How did you manage to find the parents for Isabella Chantrell? I couldn't find anything on the IGI although I realise that isn't everything! Unfortunately, my forays to actual record offices are very few and far between due to the demands of the living family!!!

I think you are right about the Hugenots ...... think they were Protestants but I will have to go away and check!

Elaine

Cheryl*S

Default Gobby and Chantrell

Hello Stephanie and Elaine, how great to see familiar names
    I have found reference to Charles Gobby in the British Medical Journal (1899). It looks likely that he is the son of Alexander Antonio (Charles and Isabella's son) and Sophia but I can't make the definitive link. In the article he is referred to as an undertaker but in the 1901 census he is a cab driver and I can't find him in the 1891. What do you think?

Also it is a bit frustrating because someone is referred to as "the Italian" but the article is incomplete and so I am unsure as to whether this is reference to Charles or another man named in the article.

Peph

Default Charles Alexander Gobby

Cheryl, this is brilliant - thank you!

Charles Edward Gobby, born 21 October 1853, was an undertaker. He lived at 34 Leather Lane and died in 1900. He was the son of Joseph Gobby.

Charles Alexander was indeed a cabman and, as you rightly say, was the son of Alexander Antonio and Sophia Bale. I've found Charles Alexander in 1911 - a taxi driver.

I'd LOVE to see what you've found in the BMJ Archive. Would that be possible? We could exchange email addresses privately - I'd be really happy to share my tree with you.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Peph

MICHAELDRAKE290

Hi Stephanie

I have just started looking at my wife's ancestry and wonder if the following is of interest to you. My wife's mother was Lillian Sarah Morley (nee Chantrell and her great great parents were Joseph Chantrell and Phoebe Fisher who as you know had a daughter Isabella.

I intend doing a tree on ancestry in the next few days meanwhile if you want more info pls let us know on

Christinedrake44 AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk.

Beat wishes Christine and Michael Drake
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 11-04-2012 at 5:43 PM. Reason: disguised email address to prevent spam

Cheryl*S

Hi Michael,

I will be watching this thread with much interest as I am also following these lines.

Best wishes, Cheryl

Peph

Apologies for my absence, ladies and gents. I managed to get a little waylaid over the past three years or so.

I've done very well with the Chantrell line, and have a copy of the Will of my 7 X Great Grandmother, Mary, who died in 1727. They were living in Clapham, and successive generations continued to live there until the move to the City. Whose widow Mary was I've yet to discover, but if you'd like details of what I've found then please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast