LEGOUIX

Default LEGOUIX from Nomandy, Berkshire/East Hendred

I am Christophe LEGOUIX, I live currently in France in the city of Dijon and I have been working for a long times about the history and genealogy of my family.
    My e-mail is «*[email protected]

I send you this message today because I have found that a brother of my great great grand father, named Louis Pierre LEGOUIX, born in Normandy in the very small village of Laulne in 1852, decided to leave France in 1881. He's gone with his wife Marie LEMELLETIER and his son Auguste in one of the Channel Islands, Jersey, to begin a new life as a carter.
    Auguste was born the year before in La Haye du Puits, not far away from Laulne, at fifty kilometers from Cherbourg,

With the help of Jersey Heritage in Saint Helier, I have today several documents about Louis and Auguste: passports, will, pictures and fortunately the result of the 1901 Channel Islands Census Recensement. In this text, Auguste, 20 years-old, had three sisters, born in Jersey, After this date, this man desappeared. His father dead in 1920 in Jersey.

Recently, I have read in interesting text on internet about the village of East Hendred, Let's a have a look in this part:
    In the decade preceding the first world war there was a vast increase in the playing of golf, and the laying out of golf courses. Mr. Colt was a golf course architect whose first course was at Swinley Forest near Ascot, and Mr. Auguste Legouix was his assistant from the beginning. There was a lull during the war, and Mr. Colt decided to take up fruit farming. He came to East Hendred and bought land for the purpose. Mr. Legouix had had experience as a fruit grower in Jersey: he became Mr. Colt’s manager in East Hendred, and Mr. Colt decided to build a house for him near the orchards.

There was at that time no house between A417 and the cottages near the shop. Mr. Colt’s house was the first to be built there. But it was 1918, and building material was almost unobtainable. Mr. Colt decided to use local material. He got his chalkstone from the pit beside the Hollow Way (Ellaway’s Hill) beside Newbury Road. The pit is still there. The chalk surface has become grey and friable; but no doubt chalkstone could still be obtained. Mr. Legouix’s son, Mr. Joe Legouix, tells me that there was no question of paying for chalkstone at that time. One merely went and dug it*»

In my opinion, it's the same man because the family name «*LEGOUIX*» is seldom everywhere, of course in Berkshire and even in France, and also because he speaks on his last will an testament like this «*I give and bequeath to my son Stanley of the Fruit Farme East Hendred*»

So, this message is like a bottle on the sea for the members: do you know this surname in Berkshire? Do you have some information on Auguste, Stanley ou Joe LEGOUIX?
    If a member of british genealogy are an interest for this study or looks for descent named «*LEGOUIX*», I can help him. I have plenty of documents on LEGOUIX family: for instance, the oldest one is duplicate of a text from the middle of the XVIIth century about an agreement between LEGOUIX brothers after the death of their father Roger LEGOUIX, the beginner of this genalogy...

Christophe LEGOUIX

pottoka

Smile Bienvenue !

Bonjour Christophe et soyez le bienvenue au site.

Your story is very interesting, and I do hope that you will find some "cousins" in Berkshire. The 1911 Census will be coming out soon (relatively) so, with luck, you'll be able to track down Auguste on that.

There is a marriage record for an Auguste Legouix in 1902 in London:

Name: Auguste Legouix
    Year of Registration: 1902
    Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
    District: St Olave Bermondsey (1902-1913)
    County: London
    Volume: 1d
    Page: 373

He married either Mary Jane Hansford or Ada Blanks. (There are two marriages on the page but it was only after 1911 that the bride's name was recorded with the groom's name).

You can order a marriage certificate online here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ In England, it costs £7 per certificate (about 8€05 at today's exchange rate)

There is a birth record for Stanley Legouix in Berkshire in 1906:

Name: Stanley Legouix
    Year of Registration: 1906
    Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
    District: Windsor
    County: Berkshire, Surrey
    Volume: 2c
    Page: 432

and in the same Registration District (Windsor), there is another Legouix:

Name: George Albert Legouix
    Year of Registration: 1910
    Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
    District: Windsor
    County: Berkshire, Surrey
    Volume: 2c
    Page: 455

Happy hunting et bonne chance!

Peter-Gabriel

Wink Legouix

Quote Originally Posted by LEGOUIX View Post
    I am Christophe LEGOUIX, I live currently in France in the city of Dijon and I have been working for a long times about the history and genealogy of my family.
    My e-mail is «*[email protected]

I send you this message today because I have found that a brother of my great great grand father, named Louis Pierre LEGOUIX, born in Normandy in the very small village of Laulne in 1852, decided to leave France in 1881. He's gone with his wife Marie LEMELLETIER and his son Auguste in one of the Channel Islands, Jersey, to begin a new life as a carter.
    Auguste was born the year before in La Haye du Puits, not far away from Laulne, at fifty kilometers from Cherbourg,

With the help of Jersey Heritage in Saint Helier, I have today several documents about Louis and Auguste: passports, will, pictures and fortunately the result of the 1901 Channel Islands Census Recensement. In this text, Auguste, 20 years-old, had three sisters, born in Jersey, After this date, this man desappeared. His father dead in 1920 in Jersey.

Recently, I have read in interesting text on internet about the village of East Hendred, Let's a have a look in this part:
    In the decade preceding the first world war there was a vast increase in the playing of golf, and the laying out of golf courses. Mr. Colt was a golf course architect whose first course was at Swinley Forest near Ascot, and Mr. Auguste Legouix was his assistant from the beginning. There was a lull during the war, and Mr. Colt decided to take up fruit farming. He came to East Hendred and bought land for the purpose. Mr. Legouix had had experience as a fruit grower in Jersey: he became Mr. Colt’s manager in East Hendred, and Mr. Colt decided to build a house for him near the orchards.

There was at that time no house between A417 and the cottages near the shop. Mr. Colt’s house was the first to be built there. But it was 1918, and building material was almost unobtainable. Mr. Colt decided to use local material. He got his chalkstone from the pit beside the Hollow Way (Ellaway’s Hill) beside Newbury Road. The pit is still there. The chalk surface has become grey and friable; but no doubt chalkstone could still be obtained. Mr. Legouix’s son, Mr. Joe Legouix, tells me that there was no question of paying for chalkstone at that time. One merely went and dug it*»

In my opinion, it's the same man because the family name «*LEGOUIX*» is seldom everywhere, of course in Berkshire and even in France, and also because he speaks on his last will an testament like this «*I give and bequeath to my son Stanley of the Fruit Farme East Hendred*»

So, this message is like a bottle on the sea for the members: do you know this surname in Berkshire? Do you have some information on Auguste, Stanley ou Joe LEGOUIX?
    If a member of british genealogy are an interest for this study or looks for descent named «*LEGOUIX*», I can help him. I have plenty of documents on LEGOUIX family: for instance, the oldest one is duplicate of a text from the middle of the XVIIth century about an agreement between LEGOUIX brothers after the death of their father Roger LEGOUIX, the beginner of this genalogy...

Christophe LEGOUIX
    Dear Christophe, interesting that you posted about Legouix! I have a cousin, Susan Sloman, whose maiden name is Legouix. she is the daughter of Stanley joe Legouix and Rosemary Mather-Jackson. You can contact me either on this list or at my personal address ; peterdeloriolchandieuATgmailDOTcom, Regards, Peter
    Last edited by christanel; 05-03-2019 at 7:11 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam