apowell

Default Help to trace possible relatives death

Hi everyone,

I checked the Mining disaster index for any ancestors and think I may have found one.
    Name: HAYCOCK Charles
    Date: 30/09/1885
    Year: 1885
    Colliery: Great Bridge
    Owner: R Mason and Sons
    Town: Great Bridge
    County: Stafford
    Notes: Died 1st Oct. fall of rock roof when he was timbering. Cause two converging slips

I had a Great Great Uncle Charles Haycock born abt. 1837 Rugeley, Staffordshire who was a Coal Miner. He moved with my Great Great Grandfather and family to the Great Bridge area. I know his death was registered Dec 1885 West Bromwich.

I've checked the 1881 census for any other Charles Haycocks but can only find another one born 1811 Coal Miner (another relative).

Any ideas how I could get further details on the web without having to pay the £7 for a death certificate.

If I spend anymore money on these certificates the wife will go bonkers.

Kind regards
    Adrian

Plonker

IF YOU FIND A WAY
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Mutley

I can only suggest a local newspaper may have a report or you may be able to find a burial record or a gravestone that may give more details.

I don't know if they would be available on line and may end up costing more than the certificate.

AnnB

From the Birmingham Daily Post of October 5th 1885

West Bromwich
    Fatal Colliery Accident
    On Saturday, Mr E. Hooper, coroner, held an inquest at the District Hospital, respecting the death of Charles Haycock (48) miner, of Great Bridge, who was fatally injured whilst employed in the Brick House Colliery, Great Bridge, on Wednesday last. Mr W. H. Pickering, assistant Government Inspector, said he did not consider anyone was to blame for the fall of rock which occasioned the fatality, it being, in his opinion, a pure accident. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."

Best wishes
    Ann

apowell

Hi,

Many thanks everyone for your replys and help.

Ann You're a star for posting that because I live in Finland and it's really difficult for me to get to any local resource centres etc.

The informations really helped answer a lot of questions.

Many thanks everyone.

Regards
    Adrian