Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Gallo
    From Brit-Gen postings (Geoffer's) I managed to locate the divorce: in 1900, from one Charles William Turner. Well, it's a not uncommon name..........I haven't been able to get to the National Archives to discover the grounds for the divorce,
    Yo don't actually have to go to TNA to fnd the grounds.

From the catalogue entry - Charles William TURNER

Look to the right of the screen and click on the highlighted button, 'request this' - then select the option you wish.

Digital express costs £8.50 to copy up to 10 images.

If you go for the hard copy you will get an estimate for copying and posting - I've just received an 8 page file by this which cost me £5.30.........both a bit cheaper than the return journey.

Geoffers

..............further to my last, did Charles William TURNER have a business partner? See the London Gazette

Did the business go bust?? Did Charles William run off with the funds?

It maybe worth searching the Times archive to see if there are any legal notices.

Geoffers

Last message before walking the dogs...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne
    I am thinking Charles may have SAID he was an Ag Lab in order to take advantage of some scheme where someone was paying part or all of the passage for Ag Labs to Manitoba?
    Poor Law Amendment Act 1834 - the scheme ran until 1890.
    Documents held at TNA in document class MH12

Penny Gallo

Default Geoffers to the rescue again

You're always setting me back in the right directions where the Archives are concerned! Thank you - I did NOT realise that I could order them by post! I have now transported Charles William Turner onto a Black Sheep Posting ("Mary Anne Found My Cad" https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=39018), and am keeping this one for any more revelations about his life in Canada.

Yes, I am going to look into the ship and its cargo.

Hope you enjoyed your walk! Best wishes, Penny

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default That's my great grandfather

Charles William Turner was my great grandfather. By the time he had my grandmother he was 57 and went to church every day and 3 times on Sunday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12