BeeE586

Default More help please

I think - hope - that I am reasonably safe. I have an anti-virus programme with Firewall etc. which I update every day and run a full computer check every week. Once a month I run Spybot as an extra insurance. What I don't know is how to check a download BEFORE I download it to make sure it is safe. I am always wary of downloads and I do not want to download music or film clips but there are one or two games on BigFish that I would like a fuller version of.

Also, when I used the AOL browser I could put words into a spam trap to weed out most of the rubbish. How can I do that now that I use Firefox ? The things I put in originally (e.g. Nigeria. Ambassador, Abbey National) are still there but I want to add to the list some new nuisances that have appeared.

Help please from the technocrats - I am learning all the time and always grateful for advice.

Eileen

NickM

There's no way of checking a program before you download it, but a good virus checker should immediately quarantine or delete an infected program as soon as it has finished downloading.

busyglen

I don't know about Firefox Eileen, as you know I am with AOL. If I download something that I am not sure about, before I open it, I do a virus scan even though my virus protection does it automatically.

I have several Xcel files that I was sent with Census info and every time I open it up, it automatically runs a virus scan, without me requesting it.

I hope someone else can help you.

Glenys

MarkJ

As NickM says, you will need to download before you can scan. Although the occasional problem does arise with "decent" websites, most of the problems from downloading come from dodgy sites or peer to peer downloads.
    It is always sensible to scan downloaded files if you use Windows.

Mark

BeeE586

Thank you for sound advice - as always, someone knows.

I seldom download anything, but would like to sometimes as with the games. Trouble is, I'm wary, and want to be fully protected at all times. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. If you never hear from me again you will know the worst has happened.

Eileen