assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in

1883, he devoted several years of his life to service at a government

facility, finally taking leave in 1887 to resume his dealings with the

railroad. Subsequently, he was a key player in a vital investigation

run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed

away during an important civic function held in his honor, when the

platform on which he was standing collapsed.'

Tom

Proof for you , Ben... some people just will not admit the obvious!!

Sue

Penny Gallo

Default "Collapsing platform"

Well, if that ain't the best darned piece of spin I ever did hear..... That's what makes a politician!

I haven't had problems regaling family with the skeletons I've found. The biggest problem were elderly relatives, very mentally alert, who hinted at revelations - "I could tell you a thing or two about that, Penny!" in quavery handwriting - then never did. I think they justified this by morality but hinting just gave them so much pleasure. Ah well, I've managed to knock one brick wall down - and am keeping going with the others.

Famous for offering help & advice

For example if a single unmarried woman fell pregnant to a baby and wed shortly after the birth and the new hubby claimed fatherhood in the subsequent baptism and you find that he was still married well into the mums pregnancy and the previous wife had been ill for a long time before she died, its obvious he was that babys father. The length of his wifes illness would prove that, giving him opportunities to play the field. Arthur Conan Doyle strayed while his wife was dying, my ancestor did, it is a well known fact. It happened.

Ben

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

I haven't found any serious black sheep (yet) in my tree, but I think my ancestors hold the world's record for shortest pregnancies ever.

Peter_uk_can

In the course of researching it is highly possible that one will uncover "skeletons", as described here. However I don't think that it is my job as an "hobby genealogist" to force this or for that matter, any information upon those who do not wish to either receive it or hear it.

After all, as I wasn't present at these events and I do not have first hand information as to the true circumstances surrounding them.

Not everyone in the families I am researching is interested in the history, some don't see why we should go digging things up and they have a point which is as equally valid as my own.

A little bit like speaking to someone on the telephone, I am sure that we all conjour up an image of this person and very often will find that when meeting them, they bear little resemblance to the character in our heads.

I believe that the amateur/hobby genealogy is providing a valuable service to history. It has pressured archives and governement institutions to be more transparent in the way they hold the history of our ancestors.

Our work is generally the best we can do, at the time, with what we have and how we interpret it, I don't however believe that it is the be all and end all of our history. The history that I have researched remains open to criticism, corrections and opinion. Even if I don't agree, I do believe that a good researcher will always listen.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I was thrilled to find a relative of mine in Horsemonger goal for debt. Definitely gives a bit of interest and edge to research.

helena869

Smile

I love skeletons.

My family have none so far (except the paedophile but everyone knew about that so I don't think it counts). However, I started doing my husband's side of the family and they have all sorts of dodgy things going on - it's great!!

Not sure how his very stuffy aunt would react though!

Penny Gallo

Default Is family property?

"Not sure how his very stuffy aunt would react though! "

I think it's trickier with someone else's family. I'm rather glad it would be hard for me to investigate my partner's family much further back than the 1911 Dublin census. I'd be worried I'd find some glaring evidence of English mistreatment. The past can be a tricky hunting-ground.

Don't be taken in by that Hillary Clinton story - it's typical of the vicious slander her political rivals have circulated about her from the outset.

Check it out on Snopes:

https://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/thief.asp

Famous for offering help & advice

Often the facts are there in black and white. The success of a genealogy breakthrough can have its tragic side and that is something that you will have to accept.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast