Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

Default 1901 Census Lookup-Clayson

I am looking for the Clayson household including Henry Clayson b. 1863, wife Annie b. 1862, son George Henry b. 1887, daughter Doris Lillian b. 1896 and son Reginald Charles b. 1898. Reginald was born in Claygate Surrey, so I suspect they were living in Surrey at the time, but they also spent alot of time in Elham, Kent.

There is a Henry living in Kent as a Woodman, aged 49, but that's not the right gentleman.

Would someone be kind enough to look them up for me?

John Nicholas

Aislin,

I started by trying to clarify some facts. On FreeBMD, I can find a George Henry Clayson registered in March quarter of 1886 at Elham vol 2a page 1060. Is that one of yours?

I can also see a Reginald Charles Clayson at Epsom in the June q of 1898, vol 2a page 380a.

There are no Doris Lil(l)ian Claysons anywhere in England & Wales in the 1890s (nor any names which might be mistaken for Clayson, in my opinion). However, I found a Doris Rosetta L Calkin in Sept qu 1896 at Woolwich (see below) in Vol 1d page 1296. This is correct off a printed index, but there could have been an error in transcription from the original entry to the official index.

Having got really quite confused, I did find the family in 1901, correctly indexed as Clasen (that's how the enumerator wrote it). Here are the details from RG13/ 669 folio 124 page 5.

Hare Lane Cottage(s), Claygate, Thames Ditton, Epsom

Henry Clasen Head Married 37 Joiner (worker) born Elham Kent
    Annie Clasen Wife Marr 37 born Horsham? Surrey
    George Clasen Son Unmarr 15 Carpenter (worker) born Folkestone Kent
    Doris Clasen Daug Unmarr 5 born Woolwich Kent
    Reginal (sic) Clasen 3 born Claygate Surrey

First rule of genealogy: common names are difficult to sort out.
    Second rule: uncommon names are usually misspelled.

John

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

Thank you so much John, that is them. I looked under different spelling variations also, but apparently not that one. I think I tried Cleyson, Clayton and Claison.

Again, thank you for your help.