Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I don't know whether it annoys me more, or makes me want to laugh more, when people who use computers at work, and who I therefore think should be fairly computer-savvy, send me these virus warnings. Me, the computer dimbo, who knows to treat such messages with the contempt they deserve and therefore bins them asap.
    I sent rather a scathing reply to one such person asking how they could believe such rubbish. The message had been literally 'forwarded' every time, so there were about 15 copies of it, all complete with the email addresses they'd been sent to, the original message having been sent out on a company computer. I was strongly tempted to forward the message to the chairman/MD of the company suggesting that they made sure their employees were more gainfully employed in the future!
    Pam
    (who needs to find that gizmo-thingy and the lead so she can do a back-up. Think it's under one of the pile of papers )

mfwebb

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    . . . . .
    (who needs to find that gizmo-thingy and the lead so she can do a back-up. Think it's under one of the pile of papers )
    FIND IT NOW!!! You may need an up-to-date backup tomorrow.

If your computer crashes for any reason you can easily reinstall your software or buy some more -- but how would you replace your precious information that has maybe taken years to create and accumulate??

As a friend of mine says -- JUST DO IT. And don't just do it once and think "That's it, done". Backups need to be done regularly -- at least weekly. But you already know that, don't you?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by mfwebb View Post
    FIND IT NOW!!! You may need an up-to-date backup tomorrow.

If your computer crashes for any reason you can easily reinstall your software or buy some more -- but how would you replace your precious information that has maybe taken years to create and accumulate??

As a friend of mine says -- JUST DO IT. And don't just do it once and think "That's it, done". Backups need to be done regularly -- at least weekly. But you already know that, don't you?
    Sure do, Malcolm.
    The good news is that I've found them. The other good news is that, apart from yet more bookmarks , I've not added that much stuff to the computer since the last back-up. When I am adding 'quantities', then I do make regular backups.
    Pam

busyglen

I've been using a pc for the past ten years, and because everything was new to me then (regarding the internet anyway) I became almost obsessive in making sure I wasn't going to let any `bugs' in. After a friend had her address book attacked, I decided to delete all my contacts, and now just have an address book. Ok it takes a couple of minutes to look one up, but if it saves someone from getting a virus from my book, then it's worth it.

I NEVER, open anything suspicious, even if I think it might be from a friend. If it is from a legitimate person, they can always write again to see if I got their message. On a couple of occasions, I got interested in something that went to my spambox, and was `almost' tempted to open it up, but then my common sense kicked in and I deleted it. I know there is always going to be something, somewhere, some day, that will catch me out, but I hope by keeping my VP updated each day, and daily scans, that they will do the job for me. After all, we are all human, and can make a slip up at any time.....we are not perfect! Well I'm not anyway. In fact, I've just remembered that I also need to do a backup of some work I did the other day, so thanks for the reminder.

Glenys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12