genewizard

Default Principal Probate Registry Index search

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help I need a search of the probate records to see if I can find a missing ancestor I am looking for a will of William Gosling who was a farmer and who died after 1868 and had a son called James, or a search on James Gosling a Wherryman who died in Winlaton Durham on the 01/02/1887, as I have been unable to trace James's birth so it has been suggested that I search the principal probate records for either William's death or James's.
    Thank you

LittleMissP

You can request a search for the fee of £5 from the Probate Registry, have a look at their website for details:

https://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

Paula

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by genewizard
    I need a search of the probate records to see if I can find a missing ancestor I am looking for a will of William Gosling who was a farmer and who died after 1868 and had a son called James, or a search on James Gosling a Wherryman who died in Winlaton Durham on the 01/02/1887
    The probate calendar has been copied onto film and available at most county record offices; it's very simple to use and a lot cheaper than paying the Probate Registry lots of fivers on the offchance - not knowing in which Newcastle you live I can't post the details here but you should find the 'phone number easily enough either using a search engine, or in a directory.

genewizard

hi geoffers I live in Newcastle upon Tyne

Geoffers

You might then first try the Tyne and Wear Archive Service to check that they have the probate calendar on film, what coverage they have and if you need to book a seat to use it.

The probate calendar is arranged alphabetically by surname and forenanme within each year. Individual entries include a date and place of death, a home address if somewhere diffeent; sometimes an occupation. To whom probate/admon was granted, sometimes their relationship to the deceased, sometimes an occupation; value of estate. When and where probate/admon was granted. Note down the whole entry as it appears if you wish to obtain a copy of a will. If the entry says that admon (letters of administration) was granted then the actual admon normally contains no more information than the calendar and you can save yourself some money.