Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NicoUK

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Oxon57
    I was sort of hoping I could find some kind soul to go in person and Alton is where the person died and hopefully buried there ..
    Vanessa, if you'd like to post details I could visit the Curtis Museum, where I believe burial registers are held on microfiche, to see if the person was buried in Alton Cemetery and try to find the grave if so. I don't know how big the cemetery is but will take a look if you can provide a name.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Oxon, yes I understood to ring Winchester to see if they hold the years
    Vanessa
    The advice that Oxon gave is correct. Do not contact Winchester. Either (a) get somebody to visit Holborn in person on your behalf or (b) write to York.

Colin Moretti

For the record, there are two options in Winchester:
    • The District Probate Registry
    • The County Record Office.

The latter holds the earlier calendars on microfiche and the former later calendars mainly in hard copy; I don't know the exact dates, I'm afraid, but the Hampshire RO website will probably give details. Personal visits necessary only for both.

Colin

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by NicoUK View Post
    Vanessa, if you'd like to post details I could visit the Curtis Museum, where I believe burial registers are held on microfiche, to see if the person was buried in Alton Cemetery and try to find the grave if so. I don't know how big the cemetery is but will take a look if you can provide a name.

That would be wonderful NicoUK

Person in question is : Esther Ethel J. Beardsworth died 3rd quarter 1968 Alton
    GRO Index vol 6b p 37. Wife of Charles B. Beardsworth.

I have just ordered the death cert but it won't arrive for another 3 weeks or so. Details of the burial register would be great if possible.

I do realize she may not be buried in Alton Cemetery. Hampshiregov.uk server is down so I doubt my email went through re Alton Cemetery.

I appreciate your kindness in looking it up since I don't have anyone close by to be able to do it.

v.wells

Colin thanks for that. The Hampshire gov.uk site is down at the moment and they do have copies of "some" Wills. I was inquiring at their site for information as to the best place to start with. I didn't realize that Winchester was so close to Alton so I was hoping to get ref numbers.

Some kind person whom shall remain nameless is going to Holborn and will do the look up for me if I can't glean anything from Winchester

NicoUK

Thumbs down Disappointing, not found any Beardsworths

Vanessa, I was able to check the microfiche register for St Lawrence Church for 1955 to 1975 but found no Beardsworths there I'm afraid and they seemed to be the only ones available at the Library - the Museum holds 19th Century and earlier. Unfortunately I ran out of time but will try to get back to the Library as soon as I can to check through the local paper archives for any death announcement and see whether any other microfiche can be located.

So sorry not to have found them in the cemetery either. I checked all of the areas in the Alton Cemetery where a 1968 burial might have been, including those for different religions. The cremations area were all too recent, being about 1980 onwards.

If the Cemetery Office can find a record for them I'll visit the grave and see if there's a headstone with info - perhaps you could send me a PM if you find out more?

v.wells

Thanks NicoUK. Hampshire gov.uk forwarded my email to council office and hopefully will be able to findsomething in the burial register.

Surprisingly enough I ordered some certs with the estimated release date of Nov 24 and I received one yesterday. Maybe the rest will come some time this week and the death registration will be a lot faster. Seems GRO is speeding up their delivery times for overseas clients! I can't wait to see what the death cert reveals. Probably more of these !

I will pm you when I find out more and post here as well! Thanks
    Last edited by v.wells; 27-11-2008 at 5:28 PM. Reason: addition

v.wells

I just received this from the Hampshire Records Office:

"I am afraid that we do not hold copies of will past 1941. You need to contact the Winchester District Probate Registry, Cromwell House, Andover Road, Winchester SO23 7EW (01962 897029"

Is there anyone close enough to do this or shall I go with the kind soul who offered to do the look up in Holborn?

Still waiting for cert but do know the year it occurred.

Reputation beyond repute

Holborn

presumably what SKS offered was

1. Search calendar

2. If admon, copy details.

3. If will, order copy on 1 hour service.

v.wells

Yes Peter I will go with that SKS as that person is going anyway.

I shall shut up about it now!

I can blame my audacity on brain clutter, but SOME RO's do have copies of Wills in their archive sections. I have received several from Devon RO but they were dated in the pre-1900's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast