Thread: First Timer

dollywallace

Default First Timer

Hi Everyone,

My name is Kerry and I am from Sydney Australia.

I have only just started tracing my family tree and found this site in a magazine article.

My mother migrated from Ireland in the 50's and met my dad Tom who is from New Ferry and was in the Merchant Navy.

I losy my mum some time ago and just recently my dad. I am about to become a grandmother and thought it would be a good idea to start a family tree for my children and grandchildren to see where they come from.

I am married with 2 children and work in the Hospitality industry.

Not sure what else to add, would love some help locating my parents family.

Cheers

Rubina

Wink Hi!

Hi Kerry!

You want to research your ancestors? Then you have landed in the right place! There are loads of people on here just waiting to give you advice and point you in the right direction!

Be warned though, once you start you had better stock up with ready meals because you may not be able to escape!

Happy Hunting!

Rubina

Nicolina

Hi Kerry, you've definitely come to the right place. Just do as Rubina says, plus add a thermos of strong coffee and some biscuits or snacks. You'll soon become addicted, like the rest of us.
    Just post a few details and see where it leads. Your Grandparents are a good place to start.
    Good luck and happy hunting.
    Elaine

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Hello Kerry

welcome to Brit-Gen forums. Have a look around the site and post when comfortable in the appropriate section.

Just start with what you know, and work backwards. Get a good book from your local library on how to research family history and find information on the internet.

If you do not know your grandmothers' maiden names then you will be able to get them from your parents' marriage certificate, depending on which State in Australia they married. We have an Australian section here too.

You will soon find your way around. Good luck with your research.
    ChristineR

dollywallace

Default Thankyou

Thankyou all for welcoming me, I will be posting threads today to try and locate my family

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Kerry
    Have just recently found your post and am wondering if you are still on here

Emma

Hello Emma,
    Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. It’s been 10 years since Kerry was here. If she still has the email address, she should be notified by our system that someone has joined here thread, and may answer.
    In the mean time, why don’t you make your own introductory thread?