mafletcheruk

Question Tyers of Uppingham

I trying to find out more about one of my greatgrandparents, Elizabeth Ann Burton (nee Tyers), died 18/12/1949, aged 82 on the death certificate. She would have been born in Uppingham, c1867.

She married John Welsh Burton in Uppingham in 1890.

I cannot find an Elizabeth Ann Tyers born in Uppingham c1867 on any birth register index for that year. There is an Elizabeth Tyers (no middle initial/name) on the register for q4, 1868, and an Elizabeth A Tyers who appears, aged 3, on the 1871 Census, so I am of the thought that they are the same person I am looking for.

I've ordered her marriage certificate, which I'm hoping may have some clues regarding other relatives and help in narrowing down the possibilities with respect to ordering a birth certificate.

I'm posting this on the off chance that anyone who sees it may know something about Tyers (not the round sort), as it seems to be a local name.

JM-G

Default Tyers of Uppingham

Elizabeth Tyers is my Great Aunt, we have traced the Tyers back a couple more generations. I would prefer to pass on the information be email rather than the forum.

Jill

judyh

Just wondering if you have a Dinah Tyers in your tree? She was born about 1831 and married Thomas Hudson about 1854 in Uppingham. They came out to Australia in 1856.

JM-G

Default Tyers

Sorry there is no Dinah in our tree however, my reseach has shown there where a number of Tyers families from Uppingham in that period.

Jill

Radish

Default Elizabeth Tyers

New to this forum; however my paternal great grandmother was Elizabeth (nee unknown) Tyers born 1831 she had elder daughter Elizabeth born 1865 in Uppingham, brothers were Horace, Fred, Amos (my Grandfather) and Hannah.

Knowledgeable and helpful

As JM-G will no doubt confirm, the name Tyers is very widespread throughout the counties I'm mainly researching i.e. Rutland, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire. I'm not sure whether it is a local name but I seem to come across the name in pretty much every village I look into. I would therefore imagine that it will be quite difficult to prove that you have the right one each time without getting certificates.
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke