Crofter

Default Hebridean Churches

There is a church ruin in North Tolsta, Western Isles. called St. Michael. who was he?, where did he come from?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Was he not one of the Archangels who protected heaven?

Crofter

Thank you for that Elwyn,

Protecting heaven eh? He'd feel at home there then.

Where is the best place to find details of early church buildings in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland?

As I understand it the religion practiced in the area in the Middle Ages was sort of half Druid and half Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Crofter View Post
    Thank you for that Elwyn,

As I understand it the religion practiced in the area in the Middle Ages was sort of half Druid and half Catholic.
    No. It was fully Christian, nothing to do with Rome. Monastries were mixed, Priests could marry, and women weren't second class citizens. They didn't build huge churches, and weren't politically organised.
    Rome's influence gradually spread across the UK, and the beginning of the end came with the Synod of Whitby in 665.

It's all a bit far back for genealogical research - very little in the way of written records.
    Lesley

Crofter

Thanks Finbar,

A very interesting website and some good links. A lot to take in. Another diversion, should keep me busy for months.

Thank you too Lesley,

I agree its going back a wee bit but nevertheless an interesting diversion.

I realise that there is no possibility of coming across a relative from so far back. It takes me all my time to find one from last week.

Thanks again to you both.