Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    norfolkmc

Default Quebec Marriage (1890'S) : How to find?

Tracing a female ancestor, Kate Callaghan ,who was sent to Canada as a child in 1889 (aged 15).
    She appears as a servant with a lawyer's family in Quebec in the 1891 census of Canada when she was 17 years old but is not with the same family in the 1901 census of Canada and does not seem to appear at all in that census index under Callaghan.
    My assumption is that as she would be 27 by then she is likely to be married.
    How do I try and find her marriage in Quebec in the 1890's ?

Knowledgeable and helpful

there is a Kate Callaghan married a John Seymour in 1913 in Toronto father was Patrick would this be yours?

sandie

Mary Anne

Default Quebec marriage?

norfolkmc

Welcome

I think your assumption is probably correct about her being married by the 1901.

If she was married in Quebec, there are extensive records available in the Drouin Collection. I would have a look for you.. BUT, need to know a couple of things:

- what religion?
    - birthdate?
    - birthplace?

And when you say she was "sent" to Canada, do you know if with an organization? was she a Home Child? because there are lost of indices for them, too, and if you are lucky, you may even find follow-up info form after they arrived (families they were placed with, etc). See https://www.bifhsgo.ca/home_children.htm

Mary Anne

jmduke

Default Quebec Marriage Records

Quebec marriages from this period were recorded in parish registers, a large number of which have been photographed and included in the Drouin Collection searchable on-line at Ancestry.ca. I access Ancestry at my local public library and would be pleased to look up your relative during my next visit (assuming that you do not have a subscription and that someone else doesn't check it first).

JMD

the marriage I quote of Kate & John Seymour is from the Drouin collection but unless Patrick is father it isnt right one need norfolk to confirm

sandie

jmduke

Default Quebec Marriage Records PostScript

Mary Anne's response came in just as I submitted mine. I should point out that much of the Drouin Collection has been indexed, so there is a good chance that it would be found in a search without prior knowledge of the religion, place or year.

JMD

OPPs

just rechecked sorry dont thik this would be correct one as this Kate was only 23 so wasnt even born when norfolks kate went out

Mary Anne

As JMD said the Drouin is a phenomenal resource, and totally indexed through Ancestry (although their search engine is not all I could hope for... )

I trolled through Drouin this afternoon, late, and could find lots and lots of Catherine, Katherine and Kate Callaghans but none that seemed *right*. Although I was looking specifically in Quebec City - might have been somewhere else in Quebec or somewhere else in Canada altogether.

v.wells

There are a lot of Kate's in the 1901 and 1911 Canada census. Need to know birth name and parents as these were recorded on all marriage certs. She might not have stayed in Englad but saved up enough to buy passage back to England where ever she was from - you didn't say where she was born. Makes it difficult to find her. Some were in British Columbia some were in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. All provinces really, so more inforation is needed.

Found 1 17 Dec 1901 but discounted as you implied she was orphan and father and sister were witnesses to marriage in Quebec.

norfolkmc

Thanks for suggestions/replies
    She was born Catherine in Bermondsey in London (1873/4) and after being orphaned/in a catholic home for most of her childhood went to Canada in 1889 on the Caspian from Liverpool to Quebec (with a group of 65 other pauper children) . Was listed in 1891 Canada census as a Domestic servant (by then using the name Kate) with the Pouliot family in central Quebec city but is not listed at all in the 1901 census as far as I can see.
    Though having said that I think there may be some bits missing from the ancestry index to the 1901 as the Pouliot family arent found either on their version of the census but on another site (automatedgenealogy.com) I did find them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast