dave_dyke

Default French Actor..CHERBOURG

Supposedly my mother in law's father was a French Actor by the name of CHERBOURG???..even that's dicey and performed in theaters around Brighton area, as she was born in Brighton...
    Can anyone advise on sites that might have archive material for actors around the 1900's
    I'm unable to get a Birth Certificate with our her surname..
    Appreciate all the help and advise.
    dave

bumblebee

Hi Dave

I am not familiar with the layout or information on a canadian birth certificate but would you wife's birth certificate not have her Mother's maiden name on it. They do in England.

Bumblebee

dave_dyke

Default French Actor....

Thanks bumblebee....Unfortunately our B. Certificates have the mother married name but I've got Hilda's (Mother in law) marriage certificate and she always used her adopted/foster parents surname, BOOTE.
    We know she wasn't born into that family
    Thanks anyway for your help
    appreciated
    Dave

bumblebee

Hi Dave

Difficult to find out isn't it. I have had a look around the 1901 census for Brighton for any french actors, a bit earlier than Hilda's birth I know, but nothing jumped out at me.

I see that there was the Brighton Hippodrome around that time - is it worth contacting Brighton museum.
    Bumblebee
    Last edited by bumblebee; 03-11-2008 at 5:29 PM. Reason: adding text

Does your nearest big library subscribe to the Times Digital Archive? When I had free access to this (alas no more) I found that a great uncle of mine, who was a variety artist, appeared several times in advertisements/billings for theatres.

EDIT: Talking of newspapers makes me think. I used to live in Brighton many moons ago and the local paper, the Brighton and Hove Evening Argus, would often publish letters from people looking for missing Brighton people. Might be worth a letter to the editor.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

pottoka

When you say that the actor's name was Cherbourg, but it's dicey, are you thinking that it could have been his stage name rather than his real name? There certainly aren't any births registered under that as a surname between 1900 and 1925. Do you know your mother-in-law's date-of-birth?

Barnzzz

I've had a look on the Times Digital Archive and didnt find anything, sorry

Sue

dave_dyke

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    When you say that the actor's name was Cherbourg, but it's dicey, are you thinking that it could have been his stage name rather than his real name? There certainly aren't any births registered under that as a surname between 1900 and 1925. Do you know your mother-in-law's date-of-birth?
    HIlda, was reportedly born on the 27 of October 1904....without a surname I cant give you the exact date...and Cherbourg was a name I was just given from a lady who is related distantly and she thought it might have been her surname then she left for Australia right after....is expected to return home at the end of the month....hopefully I will be able to find out more then.
    The name sounded rather suspect as I can't find anyone with that sort of name in England....however, he could have come to the UK to perform and is actually from Cherbourg....all a big mystery....thanks for search though..very much appreciated.
    Dave

dave_dyke

Quote Originally Posted by Barnzzz View Post
    I've had a look on the Times Digital Archive and didnt find anything, sorry

Sue
    Thanks for looking Sue
    very much appreciated
    Dave