Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    They are now requiring a secure code for Mastercard
    No they do not. If your card supplier offers the secure code facility and if you have taken up the offer, you have to use the code. Otherwise you don't.

NickM

Quote Originally Posted by margh View Post
    How else can you send money to order a certificate if you can't use the master card? I have send away 4 times for a birth certificate only to have them email me to say they are sending the money back to me with no explanation.
    They don't say you can't use it - only that some people have had problems using Mastercard, and if you are one of them, then you should try an alternative. I've been using a Mastercard to pay for certificates for over two years, and I have never had a problem (I must have ordered at least 20). And that's with the "secure" facility (now there's an oxymoron for you !).

If the GRO send your money back, it's because they can't find a certificate based on the information you gave, or maybe there's more than one that fit what you've told them, and they don't know what to send. Always try to give a GRO reference if you can.

margh

Default Henry Hinchliffe

[QUOTE=NickM;214479]

I did send the GRO information and today I have got an email saying that Birth records start in 1837 but I could get a photcopy of the Christening record. To do that you have to have the right Adobe acrobat which I can't downlad for some reason or another so I don't know why that is. I think I will wait until next year when I go to England I might be able to get it from the Halifax or Huddersfield Library.
    I have got certificates before using the same card as I have now and i used it all the time I was in England in 2006.
    So thanks for your info
    Margaret Hinchliffe

v.wells

Adobe Acrobat is a free download and you can download the appropriate one for your system. You could probably do it at your local library if they have internet access. I don't know which Victoria you are in Australia or British Columbia, Canada. Adobe is just a reader you need to read universal documents.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by margh View Post
    I did send the GRO information and today I have got an email saying that Birth records start in 1837 but I could get a photcopy of the Christening record. To do that you have to have the right Adobe acrobat which I can't downlad for some reason or another so I don't know why that is. I think I will wait until next year when I go to England I might be able to get it from the Halifax or Huddersfield Library.
    Can you tell us a bit more about what you're hoping to get? - then we can probably give some better advice.

If you're wanting a copy from a parish register you won't need to come all the way to England to get it - for churches in Halifax or Huddersfield you can get it by post from West Yorkshire Archives. I don't know if you can order through their branch offices, as I've always used their HQ in Wakefield, and they're very helpful and efficient. For a straightforward copy you'd have to tell them which church the baptism was in, otherwise you'd be looking at some kind of research service at a higher price.

I haven't a clue where Adobe comes in, unless it's something to do with a pre-1837 non-conformist register, many of which are viewable online on a pay-per-view site.

Arthur

v.wells

[QUOTE=margh;214739]
    Quote Originally Posted by NickM View Post

I have got certificates before using the same card as I have now and i used it all the time I was in England in 2006.
    So thanks for your info
    Margaret Hinchliffe
    Just saave the e-copy of christening record in .jpeg format. .jpeg is picture code - save to desktop or wherever.

Adobe is usually used for reading forms and not pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12