Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guy Etchells

Not much of an entry for Smalley in Domesday.

It comes under Land of the King (Terra Regis.)
    In Smalei 7 Chiteslei IIII. Bő trć.

In Smalley and Kidsley 4 b. of land.

b=bovata (bovate) = one eighth of a carucate ; the amount of land a team of 8 oxen could plough.
    Cheers
    Guy

Patrisia

Thumbs up

Many thanks Guy, I didn't expect there to be much. At least I now know it was mentioned.

jonarmitage

Default Disappearing Domesday site

Patrisia,

The Domesday book site you mentioned looked interesting, so I followed the link and discovered that it is still down.

I did a bit more digging: this domain name appears to be registered to a private individual, but there is no web site associated with the domain at all.

Some variations like "doomsday" redirect you to the Phillimores web site, presumably the publisher mentioned above. So sadly, we're no wiser about the land index.

Does anyone know of any helpful online resources?

Jon

ronbolus

Default tlaporte: Bolle, Bolas, Bowles, Bullus etc etc

Dear tlaporte I have responded to your query on English Civil War thread. My 30 years of research advise you to consider a great many spelling derivations------as i mentioned under Civil War thread. You feel that your ancestors were on both sides in the Civil War; now you want to know about battles in Norman times, references in Doomsday Book etc. Early references include John de la Bulehouse (The Calendar Of Patent Rolls 1224); Henry de Bolus ( Subsidy Rolls of Derbyshire 1327); and many others; look also at many medieval references in Shropshire where a Bolas was a Keeper Of The King's Forest. Yes, we were all at the Battle of hastings. My Grandad who fought in many awful battles in France and Flanders 1914-18 told me that an ancestor : Bolle, Bolus, Bolas, whatever spelling used then........was killed at hastings in 1066; he wasn't actually in the battle : he was camping in the next field and went over to complain about the noise...........

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ronbolus
    ... Bolle, Bolus, Bolas, whatever spelling used then........was killed at hastings in 1066; he wasn't actually in the battle : he was camping in the next field and went over to complain about the noise...........
    What a mistake!

RandiMwin1

Default Vikings, Normans and Bowles

[QUOTE=Stephen M. Kohler]It is not going to be easy but it is not impossible. It is just time consuming. The practice of maintaining a surname and passing it to the next generation did not become popular until the Fourteenth Century. So, have you tried Googleling with parenthesis around "Bolles" "Boal" "Boals" "Boale" and other various spellings along with the names of wives, and towns and dates and other key words, and/or Boolean searches yet? Look up the genealogy of Ragnwald Earl of More. Ragnwald was William I’s grandfather. What most folks don’t know is the fact that many of the chiefs that fought under William I were his blood relatives. Beyond the grants that William doled out to his family and loyal retinue many of these men went on to become the chieftons of Scottish Clans. William's uncle Richard de Saint Clair became the chiefton of the Clan Sinclair. Guillaume d'Arques (a cousin who fought with William I) family’s name actually became “Clifford” several generations later.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: doubled paragraph

Rod Neep

Quote Originally Posted by tlaporte
    Does anyone know of any online resources for family name research into such references as the Battle Abbey Honor Roll, the Domesday Book or any other record of family names from that period?
    You could try this book on CD from Archive CD Books:
    "English Surnames" by Mark Anthony Lower,(published in 1843)

Included is a list of Latinized names and the Roll of Battel Abbey. This is a list of the names of those supposed to have fought for William the Conqueror at The Battle of Hastings. This Roll comprises the three lists compiled by Leland, Holinshed and John Foxes.

Regards
    Rod
    Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Stephen M. Kohler

R.L., Ah, well then… there’s another possible source for your "Bolles" "Boal" "Boals" "Boale" "Bowles" search in America and it lies with Canadian/American Donald McKay (1st cousin to my great grandmother) the famous designer and builder of Clipper Ships to include the "Flying Cloud" and Flying Dutchman". McKay's grandfather also named Donald was a non commissioned officer in one of the highland regiments during the War for American Independence and stationed in New York Citmessage=R.L., Ah, well then… there’s another possible source for your "Bolles" "Boal" "Boals" "Boale" "Bowles" search in America and it lies with Canadian/American Donald McKay (1st cousin to my great grandmother) the famous designer and builder of Clipper Ships to include the "Flying Cloud" and Flying Dutchman". McKay's grandfather also named Donald was a non commissioned officer in one of the highland regiments during the War for American Independence and stationed in New York City. At wars the England could not afford passage for many of the soldiers to return to Great Britain so they were mustered out in North America. Land in the maritime islands (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island etc.) and Canada was offered to Loyalist, and to British and Hessian soldiers to settle in Nova Scotia. At seventeen grandson Donald McKay traveled to the shipyards of Newburyport, East Boston, and New York City and studied to be a designer and shipbuilder. McKay's first wife was a Bolles. The Bolles were a prominent Fifth Avenue Anglo-American Family living in downtown New York City. McKay having finished his apprenticeships in New York traveled with his bride back to the shipyards in East Boston, Massachusetts. Many members of the Bolles family were involved in the shipping industry there.

I am a descended from United Empire Loyalists, Hessians, Highlanders and American rebels alike and proud of it.

Stephen
    Washington, DC

Stephen M. Kohler

R.L., many of the men named in the Doomsday Register are blood relatives of William I. They are the progeny of Ragnwald Earl of More and his sons, and his brothers and their son. The lineage flows from Ragnwald, to Rollo (Rollen), to William I. Rollo (Rollen) invaded NW France and settled in treaty for propriety of what’s now Normandy with King Charles the Simple of France. Charles got a ready made army of Norseman, Jutes, Danes, and Swedes out of the deal. Events beginning with Ragnmessage=R.L., many of the men named in the Doomsday Register are blood relatives of William I. They are the progeny of Ragnwald Earl of More and his sons, and his brothers and their son. The lineage flows from Ragnwald, to Rollo (Rollen), to William I. Rollo (Rollen) invaded NW France and settled in treaty for propriety of what’s now Normandy with King Charles the Simple of France. Charles got a ready made army of Norseman, Jutes, Danes, and Swedes out of the deal. Events beginning with Ragnwald’s brother’s land push in the Orkneys and eventually William I’s invasion enfolded the Scots into this trust. Simplicity is they are all Celt tribes of one origin or another and along with their Irish, Brit, Welsh, Cornish, Angles and Saxons rose up out of the Tigris and Euphrates valley a millennia or two before. Studies within the Smithsonian Institute reveal very little difference in the DNA of these people. Beyond all religious dogma, and political rhetoric this group of peoples share a very close and interesting gene pool. Some are willing to say they are the ten lost tribes of Israel.

Stephen
    Washington, DC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12