Nicolina

Default Thomas CARTWRIGHT born about 1794

My G-G-G-Grandfather Thomas Cartwright was born about 1794. The Census gives place of birth as Markington or Wintringham. He, and his wife (wives) Elizabeth had at least 11 children, (possibly 14) and 80 grandchildren. The family settled in the Malton and Scarborough areas, some going on to the Bradford / Leeds area.
    Any help in finding out where Thomas came from would really be appreciated.
    Alternatively, if you think you might be connected please let me know. I have loads of info. which I'm more than willing to share.
    Elaine.

jeanettemarie

I have a Thomas Cartwright born 1791 in my husbands side, they all came from Womborne in Staffordshire, but as he was one of the siblings, I have not traced his marriage, I have my tree on GR if you wish to have a look
    Jeanette

Nicolina

thanks Jeanette, I'll keep that in mind although there is no evidence to suggest that any of the main family moved away from Yorkshire. One moved to Lancashire but came back a couple of years later. Now we are scattered around the world, but several of us hope to meet next year, for the first time.

bodger

Default Thomas Cartwright. b.1790, Mickley, Yorkshire

Elaine, i think we share the same GGG grandparents, Thomas, m. 15 Sep. 1817, Kirby Wiske, Elixabeth Johnson( Umpleby), there is a ? mark in her earlier life !!, i have 12 children recorded, Mary, b.1818, Holm Pickhill, to Elisabeth, b. 1840, Holm Pickhill.
    My connection comes from their 3rd child Thomas, b. 1820 Ainderby, he married, 1843, Charity Peckett, b. 1820, Norton, they had 6 children, their 3 rd. child Charity, b. 1851, Norton, m. 1879, George Smiddy Lister, b. 1855, Malton,they had 9 children, and their 7th, Kate, b. 1887, Oakworth, m. 1904, Keighley, my grandfather, John Edward Bacon, b. 1882, Ingrow.
    If you think we may have connections maybe we could chat further. Regards, Tony

Nicolina

Hi Tony, it appears that we are indeed related. I am in contact with several others, worldwide, who will be happy to hear about you. (especially if you've found the answer to the Elizabeth question) Will PM you.
    Elaine

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My Cartwright line goes back to the marriage of William Cartwright and Elizabeth West at Kirkby Malzeard in 1728. Everyone I have tied to them in the neighborhood of Ripon is to the north of there, from Ripon to Bedale and Catterick, and east to Thirsk and Pickhill.

Your Thomas married Elizabeth Johnson in 1817. At first I wasn't sure that they were the same Thomas & Elizabeth who were the parents of Mary who was baptized at Ripon on 17 Jan 1818, when her father was a labourer from Markinton. After reading your query, I found the family in the 1851 and 1861 census and see that Thomas was said to be born in Markinton. The baptisms of Sarah in 1819 and Ann in 1823 both say their father was a laborer in Ainderby Quernhow in the Pickhill parish, so the family must have moved between 1818 and 1819.

I had thought that Thomas was a son of John Cartwright and Mary Thorpe, and thus a brother of my ancestor Peter (b 1791) - but all of John and Mary's children were baptized at Mickley in the Kirkby Malzeard parish, where Mary died in 1792, John remarried in 1811, and John died in 1825. There is nothing yet to suggest a tie to Markinton, which is to the south of Ripon towards Harrogate.

Henry Cartwright and Jane Horner were married 2 Aug 1800 in Ripon, where there are records for the baptisms of 6 of their children. For Elizabeth in 1801, Henry 1803, Isabella 1805, Jane 1807 and William 1809, their father Henry was listed as a resident of Markinton. When Mary was baptized in 1813 he was listed as a shoemaker in Ripon.

The only other record I currently have of a Cartwright in Markinton is the baptism of Ann at Ripon on 2 Oct 1696, her father John Cartwright a resident of Markinton.