Thread: francis

stonewall

Default francis

hi i have a henry francis born 25 feb 1911 in west ham but when i went to check for a birth record all i can find is a record for june 1911 in west ham i know his father was herbert francis but dont know when he was born. is there a way to view the birth record or do you have to buy it and hope its right. thanks for looking.

Jan1954

Hello Stonewall,

I have moved this thread to the Certificates forum, as it seemed to fit better there.

Although Henry Francis was born 25 February, people had/have up to 6 weeks in which to register the birth. Therefore, the birth could well have been registered in the June quarter if it was done so in early April.

Unfortunately, in order to see the full registration, you have to buy the certificate. However, if you do order it, you can always ask for a reference check of his father's name being Herbert.

I hope that this helps.

Procat

Afraid that you have to buy it.

You could however state on the order form that you only want it if the father is Herbert Francis.

You will still be charged a search fee if that is not the father but is is about 3 pound (from memory) rather than 7 pound.

Jan1954

Snap!

Procat

Again! Ho hum.

Reputation beyond repute

Personally, I never do a reference check on the father's name - particularly if the only source for the name is a marriage certificate.

However, I think there's a basic misunderstanding here. The GRO indexes were compiled on the basis of the date of registration - not the date of birth. A registration is April, say, is OK for a birth in February. You had 6 weeks to register without penalty.

You should be safe to just go ahead and order that.

stonewall

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Personally, I never do a reference check on the father's name - particularly if the only source for the name is a marriage certificate.

However, I think there's a basic misunderstanding here. The GRO indexes were compiled on the basis of the date of registration - not the date of birth. A registration is April, say, is OK for a birth in February. You had 6 weeks to register without penalty.

You should be safe to just go ahead and order that.
    thanks i try it and see what happens