Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JasmineL

Default Need Help Tracing my LAIT family

Hi, I am interested in finding out about my family 'The Lait's'. I have managed to trace down the line to a THOMAS LAIT born 1832 in Marylebone Middlesex later marrying Diana and having a son Walter (1862) from which my line decends. I can find Thomas Lait in all the census apart from the 1841 which i find strange as I would have expected him to be there as he would have been 9. There are other Thomas Laits but none match the birth place etc. I tried looking for his marriage cert - which again I couldn't find so have now contacted the GRO and hopefully they can locate it.
    I have a couple of questions I am hoping some kind person may help me with as I'm really not that advanced to know the answers and where to go.

1. If he were born in 1832 which would not be covered by the GRO records - how can I find his birth cert which can then help me on the next step of finding his parents names etc?

2. Any thoughts on why he wouldn't have shown on the 1841 census which I was really hoping for as he would have only been around 9 and therefore his parents should be listed with him on there. I kind of played with the idea of the name being French, possibly they were not here at the time of the census but his birth place is listed as London which would indicate he should have been.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP?

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineL View Post
    Hi, I am interested in finding out about my family 'The Lait's'. I have managed to trace down the line to a THOMAS LAIT born 1832 in Marylebone Middlesex later marrying Diana and having a son Walter (1862) from which my line decends. I can find Thomas Lait in all the census apart from the 1841 which i find strange as I would have expected him to be there as he would have been 9. There are other Thomas Laits but none match the birth place etc. I tried looking for his marriage cert - which again I couldn't find so have now contacted the GRO and hopefully they can locate it.
    I have a couple of questions I am hoping some kind person may help me with as I'm really not that advanced to know the answers and where to go.

1. If he were born in 1832 which would not be covered by the GRO records - how can I find his birth cert which can then help me on the next step of finding his parents names etc?

2. Any thoughts on why he wouldn't have shown on the 1841 census which I was really hoping for as he would have only been around 9 and therefore his parents should be listed with him on there. I kind of played with the idea of the name being French, possibly they were not here at the time of the census but his birth place is listed as London which would indicate he should have been.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP?

The most obvious reason for someone going missing froma census is mis-indexing or mis-transcribing. Depending on whose 1841 you looked at, try one of the others with an independant index (for a start, I see that the LDS' new search engine gives access to the 1841 - I found a couple of Thomases aged 8 and 9, just on a quick zoom through).

The next possible reason is that he happened to be staying somewhere else on census night - visiting family perhaps. You may have to check every one of the right age.

OPr the family wasn't living where you thought they were....

Lesley

JasmineL

Thanks for you info. by LDS for you mean the LDS Church. I had a look on their web site but couldn't see that they had the 1841 census listed (I'm obviously looking wrong?)

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineL View Post
    Thanks for you info. by LDS for you mean the LDS Church. I had a look on their web site but couldn't see that they had the 1841 census listed (I'm obviously looking wrong?)

Thank you.

From the front page, select the dropdown menu under "rearch records" and then "Record Search Pilot". It's very limited as it only lets you see the individual and then links you to FindMyPast if you want the image.

Lesley

PS Everytime I see this thread, I think "Tait" and then correct myself. It's the most obvious typo as it's so much ore common.

JasmineL

Great thanks will look there.

Thanks for your help

Famous for offering help & advice

Did you find this marriage yet?
    Mar 1857
    Thomas Lait, Marylebone, 1a, 619
    on same page - Diana Harkness

JasmineL

Wow no thats great - I spent ages looking for that. The year is about spot on - I thought her surname was actually something different - but this is to close and has to be the one........ I shall start looking at it

A HUGE THANK YOU ! and to everyone who has helped, any other help will be more than appreciated.

Kind regards

JasmineL

Hi Mona,

Sorry - where did you find your info? I looked on the LDS site but couldn't find it. Am I looking in the right place?

Famous for offering help & advice
    Last edited by Mona; 28-10-2008 at 8:01 AM. Reason: add GRO ref

NickM

It's possible that he may have been an orphan......

1841 Census St. John Hackney
    Thomas Laaite, Estimated birth: 1830.

HO107/698 Book: 13; Folio: 7; Page: 10; Line: 5
    Civil Parish: St John Hackney, County: Middlesex; St John Hackney London Orphan Asylum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast