busyglen

Wink Coastguard Timothy CRONE

I came across this today, and am posting it in case it is of help to someone.

1881 Census, RG11/0721 Folio 5, Page 3
    37 South St. Greenwich, Kent.

CRONE, Timothy, head, m, 55, Coastguard Pensioner, b. Kinsale, IRL
    CRONE, Elizabeth, wife, m, 53, b. Fowey, CON
    CRONE, Emily, daur, u, 21, b. Clacton, ESS
    CRONE, Letitia, daur, 19, Governess, b. Clacton, ESS
    CRONE, Timothy, son, 14, scholar, b. Tilbury, ESS
    CRONE, Herbert, son, 11, scholar, b. Greenhithe, KEN
    CHARLES, Mary, visitor, W, 68, b. Llanedloes, Montgomery, Wales
    WILLIAMS, Margaret, visitor, u, 21, Dom. Serv. b. Balla, Wales.

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 29-01-2005 at 11:37 AM. Reason: grammar!

clarefmshaw

Smile Timothy Crone

Yes, Glenys, thanks for this info - I believe that this man could well be the brother of my g-g-grandfather, John Crone. John Crone (born about 1827 in ?Sheerness/?Cork) was also a coastguard, serving at coastguard stations in Kent and probably the south coasts of England and Ireland. In fact, I also believe that the ?brothers' father was James Crone, another coastguard officer serving at St Germans, East Cornwall, certainly at the time of the 1841 census. And yes, to continue the coastguard family theme, one of John Crone's sons, Bartholomew (my great-grandfather) was a coastguard too! His daughter, my grandmother, was born at Kilmichael coastguard station in Co Wexford. My mum has done quite a lot of research in the past (pre-Internet) about her forebears, and I am trying to continue piecing together this family. We have strong Kent and Irish connections. Any further help with the Crones would be much appreciated.
    Clare Shaw

busyglen

Smile

Here's some more info for you Clare.

Baptisms: Isle of Sheppey.
    Eastchurch.
    Reg No. year, month day.
    2287 1837 11/03 Ellen CRONE dr. of James & Mary (Hensbrook) Preventive Service.

Queenborough.
    3411 1856 09/03 Thomas James CRONE son of Timothy & Elizabeth (Coastguard)
    3422 1857 06/25 Alfred CRONE son of Timothy & Elizabeth (Coastguard)

Hope these may be of some help. Will have a look to see if I can find anything on John.

Glenys

busyglen

Clare,
    And....a couple of burials.

Queenborough.
    2785 1837 12/27 James CRONE, aged 4
    3166 1856 09/07 Thomas James CRONE aged 1 day.

Glenys

clarefmshaw

Default Timothy/John Crone

Thanks Glenys for this info! I have quite a bit of work to do to try to establish, what I believe to be, at least 3 generations of coastguards in my family, in service during the 19th century all along the south coasts of England and Ireland. My parents have already researched the Crone family (particularly my great-grandfather Bartholomew Crone) in difficult circumstances (ie pre-the Internet!) and have quite a lot of coastguard history/pictures/photos which might be of interest? Unfortunately, I have only got a hard copy of their info, so I will need to scan it in.

I'm myself particularly interested in the Crones in Kent (coastguards/sailors/fishing connections) - I have found quite a few Crones in 19th century censuses - Erith and Folkestone, as well as the Sheerness connections which I know my family are connected to - as well as 'Cornish' Crones, also coastguards whom I feel certain are also related - but I will have to do quite a bit more delving! This is all quite difficult because obviously these families moved about so much!

Hopefully, I can contribute to this discussion board as much as possible.....

Many thanks again for the info!
    Clare Shaw

busyglen

Glad to add anything that may help.

I'm really interested in photo's or history of Coastguards, especially any that served on the Isle of Sheppey. I have just set up a section for Coastguards serving on the Island but not on any Censuses and am happy to put any family history on that if you wish. Contact me off list if you would be interested, my email address is on my profile, together with my web ULR.

Glenys