Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hils Hoppo

Angry Death certificates

I've been researching my family history for some time now but up until now I have only confirmed deaths by actually sending off for death certificates. Luckily all the ones I have ordered have been the ones I'm looking for but I've hit a bit of a brick wall with the death of my 2xGt Grandfather as there are several entries that could pertain to him. As I don't want to go to the expense of ordering all the certificates to find the correct one I was wondering if it is possible to check the details on a death certificates at the records office in person?

Reputation beyond repute

GRO will check for you. You do not need a GRO reference to order a certificate. It's just that it's cheaper that way.

The standard GRO certificate order does not include a GRO reference - just what you know about the event. They will check the likely candidates and only send you the appropriate one. I think they'll check three years if the exact date of the event isn't known but you may want to check that.

A common problem with deaths is not knowing what to check! This may mean a bit of careful thought before ordering

Hils Hoppo

Thanks for that - I only know that he died sometime between my Gt Grandmother's conception in September 1846 and the 1851 Census where his wife gives herself as 'widow'. Do you think this is enough information?

Wilkes_ml

Another couple of options to narrow down your search for a death:

1) if you know the area and can get access to the parish church registers, searching for a burial may give you a date.

2) National burial index, or MI inscriptions may give you a clue - but coverage is not 100%

3) If more recently, and likely to be a cemetery burial, the local or district council's cemetery department may be able to search their records - these often give grave number, and next of kin/grave owner which may help identify a correct burial date.

Procat

Hi,

I have moved this thread from Brickwalls to Family History/Certificates/Births, Marriages and Deaths in the U.K.

Please can someone tell me how to obtain a death certificate for my grandfather (British Army) killed in WW1. He was Irish. Does that mean his death will be with the GRO here in the UK - or in Ireland?

Knowledgeable and helpful

No it is not possible to check the details at either the GRO or the Superintendents office.
    All is not lost though as you can write to them and ask them only to supply the certificate if the conditions x,y,z apply.
    In other words specify the details you are certain of such as his wife's name.

The downside is you may not receive any certificates using that method.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Thanks, Guy. I'm a bit lost however! Do you mean the GRO here in the UK or Ireland? What - or where - is the Superintendent's Office? I have the details of his death - I just need a certificate. Thanks again.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by patcraig View Post
    Thanks, Guy. I'm a bit lost however! Do you mean the GRO here in the UK or Ireland? What - or where - is the Superintendent's Office? I have the details of his death - I just need a certificate. Thanks again.
    Hi Pat,
    Guy was answering the original poster's query, not yours.
    The Superintendent's Office is the local register office for a registration district.

Please can someone tell me how to obtain a death certificate for my grandfather (British Army) killed in WW1. He was Irish. Does that mean his death will be with the GRO here in the UK - or in Ireland?
    Your grandfather's nationality should have no bearing on where his death will be registered. That is governed by where he died. If you'd like to tell us your grandfather's name, and when and where he died we should be able to tell you where to apply for a copy of his death certificate. Be aware that if he died as the result of being injured in a battle the cause of death will likely just say 'died of wounds'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you Pam. He was Thomas Baker, Lt (Acting Captain) in Royal Garrison Artillery. Died on 28th July, 1917, on French/Belgian border whilst with 203rd Siege Battery. Buried at Coxyde Military Cemetery, Belgium. Thanks again, Pat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast