Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Because the death took place outside the UK it wouldn't normally be registered here at all - but the deaths of soldiers on active service who died abroad in WW1 were registered at GRO after the war, and you will find them indexed under Armed Forces Deaths on FindMyPast. You can order a certificate from GRO in the usual way, but as noted above they tend to contain very little detail other than the soldiers name, unit and service number. The place of death is often just shown as France/Flanders and the cause of death is usually just given as "of wounds" or "enemy action".

Have you looked at his service record (at TNA) or found the relevant unit war diary ?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Pat,
    The reference you need for ordering Thomas' death certificate is:
    Year - 1917
    Volume - O.5
    Page - 70

He's recorded as Thomas Baker, and if any further details are required they are Lt. A/Capt. RGA.

Order from the GRO https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    On the right-hand side of the page there's a 'most customers want to know' link which has a further link all about ordering overseas certificates.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hello, Pam. Thank you so much. I have tried to find the reference myself with no luck. Under Volume, is that the letter O followed by .5? I can't get that to work. I have tried leaving that out and get 3 Thomas Bakers, none of whom are him. How did you do it? Many thanks again. Pat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12