Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    highrip

Default arthur williams burial record please

Looking for arthur williams born in liverpool in 1908.
    Any help most welcome .
    regards bernie.

Wirral

To find a burial, you first need to get a copy of the death certificate. That will give the exact date of death & the address where the person died. You will then need to look through the cemetery records (held at Liverpool Central library) to find where he was buried.
    Look on www.freebmd.org.uk to find the death reference, then order the certificate from the General Register Office www.gro.gov.uk .

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Bernie,
    I think Wirral misread your query because at the moment FreeBMD records only go up to 1935, and even then 1920-1935 are very far from complete.
    You need to look at the full GRO Index. Couple of places in Liverpool hold it. Might be one even nearer to you - have a look at this list.
    Alternatively you can search the GRO Index via one of the commercial sites such as Findmypast, the Genealogist, or Ancestry. (Ancestry may be available in your local library.)
    It will be a help if you have some idea of when he died though because otherwise you have got a lot of quarters to look through.
    But then you need to follow Wirral's instructions re obtaining the death certificate, and searching the cemetery records.
    Pam

highrip

Hi pam .
    I think he died in the 60's.
    regards bernie.

At least that cuts it down to approximately 10 years.
    Now you just have to decide whether to start in 1960 and work forwards, 1069 and work backwards, or 1965 and then go 1966, 1964, 1967, 1963, etc.
    Pam

Mutley

That means, 10 pages of 4 quarters is 48 pages. Williams is such a common name that it may often cross 2 pages which means it could be some 80 pages.

At the speed of my PC I would need a bit more than a packed lunch

And that is just to find the death not the burial which highrip originally asked for.

Mutley,
    Bernie is within easy travelling distance of Liverpool so he should be able to look through the GRO Index and the cemetery records on the same day. (And possibly still be home in time for lunch. )

Whoops. Forgot we advised sending for the death certificate before checking the cemetery registers, but depending on how many Arthurs born circa 1908 there are dying in Liverpool if Bernie has the quarter/year it should be fairly simple to check the cemetery registers for those dates.

Bernie: Just realised that you're looking for a fairly common name. I would therefore go through all of the 1960s GRO Index. Up to at least 1966 only age at death is given, so you need to note those whose age would mean a year of birth of 1906-1910 as the information on a death certificate is only as reliable as the informant's knowledge of the deceased. By 1969 the date of birth is given, which is hopefully a little more reliable.
    Pam

Mutley

Phew! Thank gawd for that,
    cos I would still be here looking until some time next week.

highrip

H ello pam and mutley.
    Thanks for all your help i will go over to liverpool and i should find out when he died and where he is buried thanks again for your time.
    kind regards bernie.

Wirral

If you are going to Liverpool Central Library you will need to book in advance as the GRO BMD indexes are on microfiche & the cemetery records are on microfilm. Ring 0151 2335811 & ask to book a "Reader printer" as that has both film & fiche capabilities, is electonically operated & you can make a printout from the screen. If there isn't a "Reader Printer" available, ask for a "Dual-viewer" - that is the same but no printer. There are also manual fiche & film readers. It only costs 50p to book for a 2 hour session. You can only book one session on a Reader Printer but you can also book other sessions on the other machines at the same time. When you get to the library, tell the staff that you haven't visited before & ask them to show you what to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast