yelkcub

Default Rochdale area baptism - look up request

I have just received a copy of an ancestor's will: Charles Buckley, died 1828. In the will he mentions his daughter Ann (who married Benjamin Holt, April 1806). I am keen to find Ann's baptism. Charles married his wife Betty Greenwood 23 Feb 1789 at St Chad's, though I suspect that Betty may have been his second wife. IGI has an Ann baptised 1785 ... though the father's name is given as James.
    If anyone has access to baptisms for the right period, I would be grateful for help on this one:
    Ann Buckley - father=Charles

Many thanks
    Ian

Astoria

Default Hello

You could try this site

https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

If you have no luck there I will have a look at my local library. Let me know.

yelkcub

Default Rochdale baptisms

Hi Astoria - and thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the Lancs OPC site has a gap in its baptism coverage, and the baptism I'm looking for falls into the black hole! I was up in Rochdale last February (the day the town centre was flooded), and looked at Touchstones's microfilm of the baptismal register while working on another branch of my Rochdale ancestry, the Hoyle family of Whitworth. The records are difficult to read - at times, in fact, quite illegible. What I did find, however, was an index, compiled many years ago and perhaps taken from the original documents, not from the film. These indexes are classified according to surname. So, if 'Ann Buckley' is looked up, the index shows each appearance of the name and whether the record is a baptism, a marriage or a burial, or if the person is named as the parent of a baptised child. I was able to photocopy all the Hoyle pages, which have helped solved many difficulties in my research into that family

The other site that has been of great use in my Rochdale researches:

https://www.parish-thethought.us/

... only has baptisms up to 1700.

It's beginning to look as if I may need to make the long trip north (from near Penzance) again!

With thanks and best wishes
    Ian

yelkcub

Touchstones is the Local History Library on the Esplanade in Rochdale opposite the Town Hall. It is a wonderful resource with an incredibly friendly and helpful staff. If I didn't live four hundred miles away I would want to spend a lot of time there! If you live withing travelling distance, I would heartily recommend a visit
    Best wishes
    Ian