Jean48

Default Hirons - Bromsgrove

Hi,

I am trying to trace details about Thomas and Elizabeth Hirons (nee Ward). I have hit a brick wall as I cannot find a record of their marriage or any other family members.

Their eldest son was born in 1896 and their daughter Mary Ann was born in Bromsgrove in December 1901. They later moved to Pershore.

Is there anybody else researching Hirons?

Jean

geoffpowers

Default Thomas & Elizabeth Hirons

Hello, Jean!

I have looked into your query today, but it's been rather frustrating as FreeBMD is being VERY slow - not unusual!

Do you have any more general info. on Thomas and Elizabeth?

I looked for Thomas and Elizabeth in the 1901 Census but could not readily identify a possible fit, as they do not show up in Bromsgrove under the spelling Hirons. Do you know what Thomas's occupation was?

In looking for the marriage have you checked variants spellings of the surname? Even at this relatively late date surnames were sometimes spelled rather idiosyncratically by clergy and registrars - and census enumerators!

Are you certain that the marriage took place in Bromsgrove?

Have you any idea where Thomas might have been born and how old he was?

Regards

Geoff Powers
    Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2007 at 9:50 PM. Reason: Reviewing reply

Paul71

Hi,
    My mothers maiden name is Hirons and she was born in Bromsgrove - her father was Edward Hirons. He would have been born around 1910-15 not sure if it is the same branch of Hirons as i'm just starting my searches.
    Paul

janbooth

The 1911 census of Pershore shows that Thomas HIRONS was a Labourer born c1873 in Bambury - could this be Banbury, Oxfordshire - and that he and Elizabeth had been married 16 years having had 3 children all or whom were still living. Children Bertie aged 16 and Frederick aged 1 born Pershore are with them and although daughter Mary aged 9 born Bromsgrove is on the sheet, a line has been drawn through her name with Abt (presumably absent) in the margin.

I, too, cannot find Thomas & Elizabeth with any certainty in the 1901 census, although given that son Bertie is shown to have been born c1895 in Stourbridge, and the subsequent children are shown as born in the same county, one would assume that Worcestershire is the most likely county in which to find them.

I cannot find a likely marriage either at the moment, but HIRON and its variations are an absolute nightmare to research - my paternal line is HIRON so I speak from experience!

Will keep looking.

Janet