ET in the USA

Default Need help reading cause of death

I have the death cert. of a retired Farmer who died 18 Dec 1887, but am unable to read the cause of death.
    Have tried looking through https://www.antiquusmorbus.com/ but the other site www.paul_smith.doctors.org.uk/ArchaicMedicalTerms
    no longer seems to exist.

Cause of death from death cert. copied below [BTW - this is my maiden voyage with Photobucket ! Thanks for the instructions, Mary]

Jan1954

Well, the closest that I can get is:

Scirrhus A large, hard, and painless swelling - cancerous tumour.

But it looks like "cc" instead of "rr"

Marie C..

Cor!
    Is it seneccitus(senility) or Ascites( dropsy) or?
    The doctor has nice clear handwriting....bu? M

Jan1954

You may have cracked it, Marie! Senectus (old age/senility) is something that I have on a couple of my certficates.

Well done, that woman!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Don't think it's double 'r' in the cause of death - see the double 'r' in the doctor's surname. Is it double 'e'?

Just seen Marie's guess re seneccitus(senility). How old was the person?
    Pam

Jan's a quicker typist than me.

ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Just seen Marie's guess re seneccitus(senility). How old was the person?
    Pam
    I just knew one of you nosy old cows was going to ask that !!

The truth is that I typed this question into Word back in August, but didn't know how to post the picture, so forgot it. Came across it today & couldn't remember who it was, but figured I'd find it by the time you all answered.

Anyway - I have found it by scrolling through Family Tree Makers 'Index of Individuals" & wouldn't you know it - the last name was WOOD - so it was almost last !

Back to the post - He was born in 1811, and was about 76 when he died.
    He died in December and was registered in December - so I have that word written twice. I'd say those letters were "cc" for sure.
    It probably is seneccitus(senility), but I don't think the Doctor spelled it like that. Looks more like sencctus.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA View Post
    Looks more like sencctus.
    Or possibly Senectus - which is a shortened version of seneccitus, and one which I have seen on certificates.

ET in the USA

Thumbs up

Thanks Ladies. I knew I could count on you. I even learned to post a picture thru here

Elaine

Marie C..

It is senectus...(latin for senility. I just spelt it incorrectly that is all .)
    76 was old for a fellow in those days though I had a several- times -great- gran who died aged 96 in 1854. I expect she died of senectus too. It was just a term for old age then. Now it means "senile",lost one's marbles, in addition to being old and tired.
    Half the time the doctors didn't know what they died of anyway.m