snotneus

Default Wallace Hewetson

My great great grandfather came to South Africa with a Rev.Francis Owen to set up a mission amongst the Zulus.They arrived on the 25-03-1837 in Algoa Bay and then proceeded overland to Dingaan's place,Nobamba.He was born in Kilkenny on the 17-03-1806.I would like to get what ever info is available on his life before he travelled to South Africa.

Thanking you
    Jeremy.

snotneus

Default Wallace Hewetson(new info)

He was the son of the Barrackmaster of Kilkenny.He joined the Lancers as a young man where he served for several years.After leaving the army,he was employed in church work as a lay Reader at Ipswich and Norwich.On recommendation of a Captain Gardner,the Church Missionary Society had determined upon establishing a Mission amongst the Zulus under Dingaan.Anyone know anything more about this man?

Thanking you
    Jeremy.

You have dates of when he did all this? What exactly are you looking for. There are lots of people who might be able to help but most of us are reluctant to start looking incase you already have census information or stuff like that.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

snotneus

Default Wallace Hewetson

I have a typewritten copy of a letter submitted by Mr.F.V.Hewetson to the Free State Archives Depot.He lived at 92 Henry Street in Bloemfontein,Free State Province,South Africa.I have no idea if he is related to Wallace or not.My reason for asking for any additional info is because i have been unable to access church records/census records to find out if he had siblings.I have no info on his wife or parents as well as the children born in Ireland.

Thanking you
    Jeremy.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Hi Jeremy

you will see that I have merged your two threads. It is a good idea to add any new info to an existing thread if the subject matter is the same. This also refreshes the thread and brings it back into 'new posts' and makes it easier for anyone to help you with all the information in the one place.
    ChristineR