Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge.

Petulgengro = Romany for Smith.

Chilcotts - earliest i hve is as follows:

Elizabeth Smith b.cir 1751 m1 Ambrose Smith
    m2 John Chilcott after Ambrose Transported/died in Oz 1790.

John Chilcott and Elizabeth married Bethnal Grn 1792 had John Chilcott 1793.
    He married Ruth "Liti" Lovell d.1866 Flaybrick Birkenhead Cheshirre.

They had:

Caroline married Tom Lee
    Susan aka Shuri married Taiso (William? Young aka Hern)
    Erosabella c.1831 Wootton Lin
    Union b.cir 1815 married Charles lee
    Charles d.cir 1865 Birkenhead Chs
    and Florence married Sylvester "Wester" Boswell c .1812 Dover Kt s/o Tyso Boswell and Sophia Heron.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ann65 View Post
    Pls could u re-post that ref to Allefer Raney - I didnt have that!! such things are gold..... Delorania Boss married Aaron Heron (aka Young) who went by that alias, and Delorania Boss was Rileys daughter....
    Sorry, Ann65 been away playing in the laundry.Here you go.

1871 Bishop Middleton pge 21

Allifer Raney Head. unm'd.55 b. England. "Razor" ? sharpener.

Mary Boss "Housekeeper?" 40 b.London wife of Razor ? sharpener
    "Han[ia]gar Dtr 17 Yorkshire
    Louisa Dtr 14 ""
    Deliliah 12 """"
    WAlter son 8 ..Yorkeshire pge 22
    Leo[un]ville Dtr 5 "

RG 10 / 4909 14

Tried to find these children on FreeBMD under Boss. Louisa the only poss.

Louisa Maria Boss Jun. 1859 --Banbury 3a-642.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Loves to help with queries

I've been looking at the some of the census returns for the Boss family and have come across more Romanies. I’ve no idea if they’re of interest but thought I’d add them to the ever growing list, so here goes:-

Charles Boss b 1844, Rockliffe, Yorks, spouse Lyari b. 1828 Worcs.
    Children:- Emporer b. 1864 and Walter b. 1861. living in a gipsy caravan, Altrincham Cheshire (the 1871 census shows Charles and Syria living in Altrincham with the children shown above, but also a Joseph b. 1791).

With them is Uriah Boss b. 1833 and his spouse Sinai b. 1831.

There’s also an Eli Boss b.1859, spouse Agnes b. 1859, children Annie b. 1874, Famie b. 1877 & Rhoda b. 1878.

There's another entry in 1881 for an Agate Boss b. 1825 Leeds, a horse dealer and his spouse Mary Boss b. 1837.

They are recorded as living at ' St Marys Rd In Field Gipsies Tents' Garston, Lancs, along with 3 other families :-

Thos. Mullanger and spouse Clementina Mullanger.
    Sampson Ribmeon /Ritmein, spouse - Eva and their children.
    Elias Robinson and spouse Julia Robinson.

There's also a William Boss b. 1856 Lancs, spouse Louisa Boss and their children Albert Boss b. 1879 and a baby, Bertha Boss. With them are:-

R. Boss b. 1846 and his spouse Jane Boss b. 1841 and their children Ada Boss b. 1875 and Zub Boss b. 1874.

Enoch Boss b. 1857 and his spouse Sarah Boss b. 1859. No children.

Louis Herring b. 1861 and his spouse Lily Herring, b1861 and a sister Eda Herring b. 1866.

In the final tent are:-

Annie Boss b. 1866
    Arthur Boss b. 1867
    Elizabeth Boss b. 1838
    Jane Boss b.1865
    Nelson Boss b.1869
    Oliver Boss b. 1861
    Phoebe Boss b. 1862
    Walter Boss b1859

I also spotted these on the 1851 censusy, again recorded as gypsies this time in Warmingham Cheshire:-

Beddy Boss b. 1817
    Betsey Boss b. 1815
    Dinah Boss b. 1848
    Eliza Boss b. 1842
    Elizabeth Boss b. 1839
    Gustavas Boss b. 1824
    Houcy Boss (Nancy Boss) b.1785
    Michael Boss b.1842
    Nathaniel Boss b. 1776
    Sarah Boss b.1849
    William Boss b. 1816

Just thought I'd throw these into the 'melting pot', maybe, somewhere along the line there's a connection.

BG

A fountain of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by babygirl101 View Post

Charles Boss b 1844, Rockliffe, Yorks, spouse Lyari b. 1828 Worcs.
    Children:- Emporer b. 1864 and Walter b. 1861. living in a gipsy caravan, Altrincham Cheshire (the 1871 census shows Charles and Syria living in Altrincham with the children shown above, but also a Joseph b. 1791).

With them is Uriah Boss b. 1833 and his spouse Sinai b. 1831.

There’s also an Eli Boss b.1859, spouse Agnes b. 1859, children Annie b. 1874, Famie b. 1877 & Rhoda b. 1878.

In response:

Charles Boss married Saiera Lovell (also seen as Lyari Syria and Sarah) children: Mairenni, Emperor, Walter, Eli. Charles Boss was s/o Anselo Boss & Eliza Boss.

Uriah Boss was Charles brother, and he married Seni Smith (also seen as Sinai & Simia)

The Eli Boss is Charles son He reputedly married Norah Smith but as quoted she appears as Agnes on the CR. Children were: Sana or Annie, Phemie/Famie/Amy, Rhoda, Zeuby, Emperor and Columbus.

Wife Norah Smith was the daughter of Charlotte Boss and Phoenix Smith, Charlotte being sister of Charles and Uriah Boss.

A fountain of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by babygirl101 View Post
    There's another entry in 1881 for an Agate Boss b. 1825 Leeds, a horse dealer and his spouse Mary Boss b. 1837.

They are recorded as living at ' St Marys Rd In Field Gipsies Tents' Garston, Lancs, along with 3 other families :-

Thos. Mullanger and spouse Clementina Mullanger.
    Sampson Ribmeon /Ritmein, spouse - Eva and their children.
    Elias Robinson and spouse Julia Robinson.

There's also a William Boss b. 1856 Lancs, spouse Louisa Boss and their children Albert Boss b. 1879 and a baby, Bertha Boss. With them are:-

R. Boss b. 1846 and his spouse Jane Boss b. 1841 and their children Ada Boss b. 1875 and Zub Boss b. 1874.

Enoch Boss b. 1857 and his spouse Sarah Boss b. 1859. No children.

Louis Herring b. 1861 and his spouse Lily Herring, b1861 and a sister Eda Herring b. 1866.

In the final tent are:-

Annie Boss b. 1866
    Arthur Boss b. 1867
    Elizabeth Boss b. 1838
    Jane Boss b.1865
    Nelson Boss b.1869
    Oliver Boss b. 1861
    Phoebe Boss b. 1862
    Walter Boss b1859
    The Agate Boss listed above is actually Isaac "Haggi" Boss who was a son of Riley & Lucy and transported. However he returned with his daughter to England. His wife was Mary Smith.

Sampson Ribmeon is really Sampson Robinson who married Fambridge Smith. Their son Eli is present with wife Julia Boswell d/o Sylvester Boswell and Florence Chilcott. Fambridge was a daughter of Ambrose Smith by Marilla Draper.

The others I cant help with Im afraid.

Loves to help with queries

Well done, as always Ann you've provided the solutions.

BG

RosieM

hi, I have a relation married Grace Alice Wilson born in seaton if i remember correctly. Married reubin Hollis...produced 2 daughters, one of which Jane went on to marry George price in 1876...these were my GG Grandparents. i think grace's mother , again if I remember correctly, was Margaret Cunningham....so I believe these could all be related to the people you mention. All my relations were gypsies...Im sure Wilsons were ...Letitia Mobbs/Smith d.o Bethania & james Mobbs was my GG Grandmother...her daughter Clara then married The said George Price's Son Reubin....Complicated is not the word for this family... I wish i could fing things about George Price...but not a thing. He gives his dads Name as also George on his wedding cert...can't recall if dead or not, think possibly so.he says he is 21....(1876) but on census at Stanley cum wrenthorpe yorks 1881 he's still only 20/22! He also gave the middle name on wed cert of Attrick...Was it simply A trick??? I havent found his parentage...says he was born in notts tho.....Any Idea's??
    Thanks RosieM
    Last edited by RosieM; 11-02-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: spelling

A fountain of knowledge.

I dont know anything about the Price family Im afraid. I do know (and am related to) some of the Cunninghams. They intermarried heavily with the Wilsons and all of them seemed to come from the Yorkshire area. Grace was a name that popped up regularly. The Cunninghams also intermarried heavily with the Swales family.

chaney999

Default wilsons

I now have a marriage cert for Britannia 'Annie' Boss and William Wilson. They were married January 25th 1848 in Sculcoates, Hull. They were both living in New George Street, Hull. The father of william is James Wilson (occupation Hawker). The cert does not give ages it only states 'full age'. I am now stuck. I am sure that james wilson was from the gypsy fraternity. Does anyone have any ideas of where to go next?

JaneJ

I too have Wilson's, Cunningham's and Swales, in my tree, add to these the Gordon's Kelly's Hartley's, Moses, Knowell's, Miller's and Youngs all from nothern England and Scotland.
    The inter-marriages between these families can be seen throughout my tree, sometimes even marrying the widows of their own brothers.

My own Grandmother was a Young whose parents were John Young b: 1861 Aberdeen and Margaret Cunningham b: circa 1865 Sheffield.

There is one Sarah Clark (John's mother) b: circa 1830 in Derby who I cannot find any info on other than her name on her children's birth cert's and various census reports.

Does anyone have any information on the Clark's I don't even know if she was born into a travelling family or married in?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast