Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    chaney999

Default deliah boss and george wilson

Does anyone have any information regarding my gg grandmother deliah boss. She was the daughter of Riley Boss and Susan Shurensi Smith. They also had a daughter namely Brittannia Boss. She married William Wilson from Hull. However Deliah married George Wilson from HULL.

It is believe that George and William Wilson were brothers, therefore two travelling (gyspy) sisters marry two brothers. Could this be that the Wilson brothers were also gypsies. I cannot seem to locate anything to say that they were.

If anyone has any information regarding the Wilsons from HULL or Deliah I would love to hear.

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by chaney999 View Post
    Does anyone have any information regarding my gg grandmother deliah boss. She was the daughter of Riley Boss and Susan Shurensi Smith. They also had a daughter namely Brittannia Boss. She married William Wilson from Hull. However Deliah married George Wilson from HULL.

It is believe that George and William Wilson were brothers, therefore two travelling (gyspy) sisters marry two brothers. Could this be that the Wilson brothers were also gypsies. I cannot seem to locate anything to say that they were.

If anyone has any information regarding the Wilsons from HULL or Deliah I would love to hear.
    Have you managed to trace any of them on the census returns. Do you have any dates? Certainly there were gypsies amongst both the Boss family and the Smith familly, so it's quite likely that Wilsons were too.

BG

A fountain of knowledge.

There was a romany Wilson family in the Yorkshire area, that much I do know.

Deliah was Deliah Wilhelmina. Unfortunatly she is one of the few children of Riley that I cant find a baptism for. George Wilson I have dates for but not sure where I picked them up? probably a death registration as I only have a year: b. cir 1829 d.1884.

As well as Deliahs full sister Brittania, there was Charles Boss b.cir 1815, Rileys son by Charlotte Hammond, who married an Elizabeth Wilson, they were married in 1828 at Leicester. He was transported and died in Australia in 1837.

A fountain of knowledge.

There is a thread with the genealogy of the Boss family right here

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=32436

A fountain of knowledge.

Wilsons:

I dont have a lot on this family, and what I do have is in direct relation to their intermarriages with the Swales and Cunninghams, also romanies from Yorkshire.

Grace Cunningham c.1793 Selby Yorks married John Wilson 1814 Thorne, Yorks.
    They had at least 3 children:

Grace Cunningham Wilson c.1814 Howden Yks
    Elizabeth Cunningham Wilson c.1816 Holm-on-spalding moor, Yks m.Jeremiah Swales 1834 Hull.
    Benjamin Wilson c.1819 North Cave, Yks

-------

A Joseph Cunningham c.1773 Kendle Westmoreland, married Hannah Wilson in 1795 at Thorne Yorks, and their son William Cunningham married Elizabeth Wilson b.cir 1810 Kirkby Moorside, Yorks.
    William and Elizabeth had Benjamin 1841 Rawcliffe, married Mary Wilson, and also a daughter, Magdalena b.cir 1847 Crowle, married James Wilson b.cir 1831 Beverley.

So as you can see, the Wilsons/Cunninghams and Swales repeatedly intermarried in the Yorkshire area.

Quote Originally Posted by chaney999 View Post
    They also had a daughter namely Brittannia Boss
    What a wonderful name - far better than Margaret Thatcher for a female Prime Minister

Have found the registration of the marriage of Britannia BOSS to William WILSON in Sculcoates, March qtr 1848 Vol 22 p.380

There was a death registered for a Britannia WILSON Sep qtr 1849 in Kingston upon Hull. Was this Britannia dying young, possibly in childbirth, or was it the death of the first child? There is no age on the index.

Deliah WILSON is on the 1861 census at RG9/3591; Folio 112; Page 5
    2 William Square, Kingston upon Hull

George WILSON 30 Labourer b Hull
    Deliah wife 29 b Hull
    (children on next page, all born Hull)
    Lavinia 9
    Ann 8
    Susan 6
    Sally 4
    William 2

Further up the page from George and Deliah, at 36 Garden Street:

Susan BOSS 60 Wid Hawker of hardware b Oxfordshire, Banbury
    Sarah BOWSTEAD dau mar 17 Fisherman's wife b Lincolnshire, Carrington
    Mary Ann McCARTY lodger 16 laundress b Ireland
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

A fountain of knowledge.

1861 Census

RG9/3591/112/5

2 Williams Square, Holy Trinity, Hull, Yorkshire

George Wilson, 30 Labourer Hull
    Deliah Wilson, 29, Hull
    Lavinia Wilson 9 Scholar Hull
    Ann Wilson 8 Scholar Hull
    Susan Wilson 6 Scholar Hull
    Sally Wilson 4 Scholar Hull
    William Wilson 2 Hull

very close by (on the same enumerator page)

36 Gardener St
    Susan Boss widow 60 hawker of hardware b.Banbury Ox
    Sarah Bowstead 17 daughter fishermans wife, b.Carrington Lin
    Mary Ann McCarty lodger 16, laundress b.Ireland

The above Susan Boss is of course Susan "Shurensi" Boss, Rileys Widow, and Sarah Bowstead is Siara c.1841 Frithville Lincs, who married William James Bowstead.

A fountain of knowledge.

hahahah DITTO!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I found easily the marriage of Britannia Boss to William Wilson -Mar.1/4 1848 Sculcoates...22- page 380

Not found on censuses

The death of 'a' Riley Boss Dec. 1850 Kensington ..3-254

Deliah more difficult, without dates, all guess work.
    Last edited by Waitabit; 09-10-2008 at 8:13 PM. Reason: Scrap non related event.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

A fountain of knowledge.

Yep I found Brittanias marriage easy - it was actually harder to work out that Brittania was her actual name since all I had to go on was "Annie" .....

Get back to you in 2 ticks about Allefer Raney - Ive seen that before its an alias for one of the Herons!!!.......

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast