Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barnett

nickiR

Default Barnett

Hello. Can anyone tell me the origins of the name Barnett, thanks.

Davran

From Ancestry:

Barnett
    • habitational name from various places, for example Chipping (High) Barnet, East Barnet, and Friern Barnet in Greater London, named with Old English bærnet ‘place cleared by burning’ (a derivative of bærnan ‘to burn’, ‘to set light to’).
    • from a medieval personal name, a variant of Bernard

nickiR

WOW so quick. thanks for that. I was thinking i may have to start looking into roots in Poland or Russia maybe now I don't have to

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by nickiR View Post
    I was thinking i may have to start looking into roots in Poland or Russia maybe now I don't have to
    Maybe you're right and you don't need to look further afield. But BARNETT as a surname among Jewish families in Britain is very often an attempt to anglicise an east European surname, which originally could have been almost anything that began with a B or V. I guess this is what prompted your query in the first place?

So if you're sure the family is Jewish, then don't rule out the east European option. But I'd suggest you investigate the English sources first, if only because that's the easier option. If you post a few more details of the family you are researching, someone may be able to provide more pointers.

Kerrywood

Barnzzz

Hi nickiR, I am a Barnett, by marriage anyway. I see that you live in the SW of England. are you in Somerset or Bristol ? There are lots of Barnetts there.

Sue

nickiR

Unhappy

thanks Kerrywood - yes that right someone mentioned Barnett may have jewish origins. so 'il keep looking ....

Sue, I am actually in Cornwall , I do have conections to Somerset but by way of a Williams family in Curry Rivel in 1850ish they were shoe makers who we think, unwisley, didnt buy into to the Clarks company!

Davran

Quote Originally Posted by nickiR View Post
    ...I do have conections to Somerset but by way of a Williams family in Curry Rivel in 1850ish they were shoe makers who we think, unwisley, didnt buy into to the Clarks company!

My brother lives in the next village to Curry Rivel and transcribes for FreeREG, so if you need any help in that area, just ask!

nickiR

Hi, as Im a newbie - whats freeReg?
    I am looking for a Mary Jane Slocombe born around 1846/7 . the 1881 census says she was born in Ditcheat but I can only find her in West Hatch in 1851.

p.s should I change threads as this isnt now going in a Jewish direction?

Davran

FreeREG is a website providing free transcriptions of parish registers - all transcribed by volunteers. https://freereg.rootsweb.com/

There is also FreeCEN https://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl for censuses, and

FreeBMD https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl for births, marriages and deaths from 1837 onwards.

However, not everything has been transcribed as yet, so don't be surprised if you don't find who you are looking for. I think (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong ) that FreeBMD is the most complete of the sites.

Davran

Just looked on FreeBMD and Mary Jane Slocombe's birth was registered in March qtr 1847 Taunton district vol 10 page 476. That reference will enable you to order a birth cert from the General Register Office.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast