Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NatashaBatsford

Default Famous murderer in the family?

Hi all

I was hoping you might be able to help me fill in some gaps ...

I was told today that a certain Eliza Snelling (b. Abt 1865 in Thursley, Surrey m. Arthur Batsford) was related to the famous murder in Hindhead of a sailor of 1786.

For anyone wanting details of the gruesome murder, please do a search for sailors stone Hindhead, it makes interesting reading!

Anyway, I found out they pleaded guilty at the Lent Assizes so I tracked down the list of convicts for the 1787 assizes and the names of the three murders are Edward Lanigan, Michael Casey and James Marshall.

I’m sure you can see the problem here!! I’ve had a quick look on Ancestry, but I can’t seem to find anything obvious for Eliza’s family. I’m desperate to find out how she is linked with these guys, and in fact, which of them she is connected to!!

Thanks
    Tash

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NatashaBatsford View Post
    Hi all

I was told today that a certain Eliza Snelling (b. Abt 1865 in Thursley, Surrey m. Arthur Batsford) was related to the famous murder in Hindhead of a sailor of 1786.

For anyone wanting details of the gruesome murder, please do a search for sailors stone Hindhead, it makes interesting reading!

Anyway, I found out they pleaded guilty at the Lent Assizes so I tracked down the list of convicts for the 1787 assizes and the names of the three murders are Edward Lanigan, Michael Casey and James Marshall.

I’m sure you can see the problem here!! I’ve had a quick look on Ancestry, but I can’t seem to find anything obvious for Eliza’s family. I’m desperate to find out how she is linked with these guys, and in fact, which of them she is connected to!!

Thanks
    Tash
    Hi
    What was the name of the sailor who was killed could she have been related to him.
    Sandy

NatashaBatsford

Hi Sandy

The sailor was never identified!!!

Thanks
    Tash

Hi all

Thanks
    Tash

I'm afraid that I can't see any shortcut - you're going to have to check Eliza's birth certificate to get her mother's maiden name, and then (if that doesn't match) look for her parents birth certs to get the other family surnames....

Lesley

Smile

Hi Sandy

The sailor was never identified!!!

Thanks
    Tash
    Sorry I posted here then read report, me I always do things back to front, makes for a fun life LOL better than in my state (feeling poorly today with the flu)
    Sandy

Smile

Now this is the hard bit, you have a choice of 2 Eliza on the IGI

ELIZA SNELLING
    Event(s):
    Birth: 05 OCT 1863
    Christening: 01 NOV 1863 Chertsey, Surrey, England
    Parents:
    Father: ROBERT SNELLING
    Mother: FANNY

ELIZA SNELLING
    Christening: 04 MAR 1866 Haslemere, Surrey, England
    Parents:
    Father: JOHN SNELLING
    Mother: JANE

Have you got her marriage cert this will give you a fathers name.
    Sorry can't find one on FreeBMD
    Sandy

NatashaBatsford

No worries Sandy From the census returns it's the Eliza with John and Jane as her parents. Thanks for looking for me!

Lesley, I have done some looking on A.... and while I can find the family with relative ease, I can't see any obvious link with those three names.

I don't have the money to buy a load of certificates at the moment so really I want to make sure of what I'm asking for before I go ordering anything!

Angry

Hi
    I've just been looking on A*****y as well got back to Daniel Snelling b 1824 on the 1841 Census there are a couple of other trees on their as well one I looked at didn't have any of the names on it.
    I think you/we are going to have to look for a marriage maybe, someone from these families marring into the Snelling family. Thinking out loud now or fingers typing what the brain (little as it is)thinks.
    Sandy
    PS forget to say the second Eliza with Parents John and Jane is yours.(above post)

No worries Sandy From the census returns it's the Eliza with John and Jane as her parents. Thanks for looking for me!

Lesley, I have done some looking on A.... and while I can find the family with relative ease, I can't see any obvious link with those three names.

I don't have the money to buy a load of certificates at the moment so really I want to make sure of what I'm asking for before I go ordering anything!

I can understand that. especially as you may have to go back a couple more generations. My Mum always talked about the way her father wouldn't have the name of "his ancestor" the Boer General Piet Cronje mentioned in the house because he'd surrendered to the English. When I checked, the General turned out to have been a distant cousin, with a common ancestor a couple of generations before the General's own.

Lesley

NatashaBatsford

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Hi
    I've just been looking on A*****y as well got back to Daniel Snelling b 1824 on the 1841 Census there are a couple of other trees on their as well one I looked at didn't have any of the names on it.
    I think you/we are going to have to look for a marriage maybe, someone from these families marring into the Snelling family. Thinking out loud now or fingers typing what the brain (little as it is)thinks.
    Sandy
    PS forget to say the second Eliza with Parents John and Jane is yours.(above post)
    I figure it's going to have to be someone that's married into the family. Looking at the trees on A....... there are a couple of ladies that might fit the bill as they don't seem to be listed with maiden names.

Jane (b1843 Lurgashall) wife of John Snelling b1839 Thursley. These two married 1861 in Hambledon.

and

Mary (b1810 Frensham) wife of Daniel Snelling b1813 Thursley. Not sure when they married.

Any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I can understand that. especially as you may have to go back a couple more generations. My Mum always talked about the way her father wouldn't have the name of "his ancestor" the Boer General Piet Cronje mentioned in the house because he'd surrendered to the English. When I checked, the General turned out to have been a distant cousin, with a common ancestor a couple of generations before the General's own.

Lesley
    That's exactly what I'm worried about!! If it is third cousin twice removed I could spend a fortune and never find the connection!!

Tash

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast