Mhilsden

Default Customs Officer in Royal Artillery??!!

Hello everyone!

I am struggling with a couple of inconsistancies in my research. My GGG-grandfather was listed on his daughter's marriege cert. as Staff Sgt Major, RA.
    His name was Alexander McMinn. I have a service record (discharge papers) for same, that states he was off to reside in Woolwich. I found him in Woolwich in 1881, as a "Customs House Officer (CS)" in Woolwich Arsenal.

Could there be a connection? Someone told me that there were civillian positions that had army rank???

Can someone please shoot me in the head, and put me out of my misery???

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mhilsden View Post
    I have a service record (discharge papers) for same, that states he was off to reside in Woolwich. I found him in Woolwich in 1881, as a "Customs House Officer (CS)" in Woolwich Arsenal.
    I'm not sure what the confusion is. From what you say, working for the customs was a retirement job because it was after his discharge.

He was a Customs Officer. CS stands for Civil Service.

Reputation beyond repute

a "Customs House Officer (CS)" in Woolwich Arsenal.
    Could this be the source of the confusion? "Woolwich Arsenal" is the name of the sub-district in which he happened to be living. It doesn't say he worked in the Arsenal!

He probably actually worked at the dockyard.

Mhilsden

The confusion arises, and I apologise for not being clear at all, is that his daughter married in 1886. He was discharged in 1876, and he was discharged as a Corporal, RA. Yet on the marriege cert, it says he was a Staff Sgt Major, RA.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Mhilsden
    The confusion.....He was discharged in 1876, and he was discharged as a Corporal, RA. Yet on the marriege cert, it says he was a Staff Sgt Major, RA.
    Methinks the daughter may have exagerrated things a little to impress her husband's family. People don't always tell the truth.

Mhilsden

hee, that thought had occurred to me! Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not entirely mad!

The confusion arises, and I apologise for not being clear at all, is that his daughter married in 1886. He was discharged in 1876, and he was discharged as a Corporal, RA. Yet on the marriege cert, it says he was a Staff Sgt Major, RA.
    Did he re-enlist after the papers you have? Just a thought.

Mhilsden

Hi Neil. Yes, another possibility I suppose. But the same man, is listed as a Customs Officer in Woolwich in 1881 census.

I was told by an army researcher that sometimes civillians would work in the army, and have a rank as well. I was really wondering if this was possible.