Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    caliope

Default Chase Farm Hospital

Hello everyone,

Can any kind person tell me if there was a hospital in Nottingham called Chase Farm? I know my mother did her nursing training in Nottingham and it was at Chase Farm. There was even a little ditty she use to sing "When we leave Chase Farm forever, oh how happy we will be....". The problem is, when I google Chase Farm hospital, I can only see one in Enfield.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mutley

What time frame are you talking about?

There is an article here about a study concerning eczema sufferers dated 2007. It is by clinicians at The University of Nottingham and one of the centres is Chase Farm Hospital in Enfield.

If you read the article there is definitely a link between the two.

Mutley

There also seems to be a connection between Gedling Colliery and Chase Farm but for the life of me, at the moment, I cannot work it out

caliope

The time frame was the early 1950's. I've seen a picture of a hospital in Nottingham that had a rounded part to it that she said she trained at but she also definitely talked about Chase Farm.

Curious!

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

A search in a2a also only comes up with Chase Farm Hospital, Enfield.

Michael

Loves to help with queries

It might be worth contacting the Nottingham University. Nottingham is renowned for its school of medicine and they may well be able to tell you which hospital she trained at.

Also this website might be a starting point:-

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mss/about/

I'm from Nottingham and the only hospital that sounds familiar from your description would have been the old female (gynae) hospital. There are 2 options that come to mind re Chase Farm it could have been a TB hospital or possibly a mental health institution, not sure why I think that though, so I could be completely wrong on that (she says waiting to be shot down in flames).

Hope this helps

BG

Penny Gallo

Default "a rounded part to it"

Although it has long since been converted into luxury apartments and a trendy bar, the former Women's Hospital up on Standard Hill in the centre of Nottingham has a circular building which faces the street. This was certainly running during the 1950s.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Gallo View Post
    Although it has long since been converted into luxury apartments and a trendy bar, the former Women's Hospital up on Standard Hill in the centre of Nottingham has a circular building which faces the street. This was certainly running during the 1950s.

I've carried on looking at that website and have found an old photo which I think confirms mine & Penny's recollection.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mss/coll...s/womens.phtml

BG

caliope

Thank you to all for your quick replies!

Mutley and Michael, I got the same results you did when I googled Chase Farm. Perhaps she started her training at Nottingham and finished it at Chase Farm?

Penny and Babygirl, thank you for your personal remembrances and information! My mother was also trained as a midwife so the women's hospital info does seem to tie in. I found the picture I was told is part of the hospital my mother trained at. Does it look familiar?

I won't be surprised if the bottom link doesn't work as I'm probably the most computer illiterate person on the planet!

https://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...England101.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by caliope View Post
    Thank you to all for your quick replies!

Mutley and Michael, I got the same results you did when I googled Chase Farm. Perhaps she started her training at Nottingham and finished it at Chase Farm?

Penny and Babygirl, thank you for your personal remembrances and information! My mother was also trained as a midwife so the women's hospital info does seem to tie in. I found the picture I was told is part of the hospital my mother trained at. Does it look familiar?

I won't be surprised if the bottom link doesn't work as I'm probably the most computer illiterate person on the planet!

https://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...England101.jpg
    Hi Caliope

Yes the link does work and the building looks familiar. I've forwarded it to my sister who still lives in Nottingham as I think she'll know where it is. When I get a reply I'll let you know.

BG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast