Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Caliope,

The photo is of St James Terrace looking north. The Circular building is roughly on the corner of St James Terrace/Postern Street/Mount Street junction I believe.
    We`ve never heard of Chase Farm in this household and we are local.

Mitch

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    There also seems to be a connection between Gedling Colliery and Chase Farm but for the life of me, at the moment, I cannot work it out
    This is the link I was looking for regarding the Chase Farm site at Gelding.
    Maybe a local can explain it.

Penny Gallo

Yes, Caliope, the circular building you linked to is the former Women's (Gynae) hospital in Nottingham. xxx Penny

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Gallo View Post
    Yes, Caliope, the circular building you linked to is the former Women's (Gynae) hospital in Nottingham. xxx Penny
    Just heard back from my sis and, Penny, I agree with you about the building. She hasn't heard of Chase Farm either, I'm beginning to think your mother must have done part of her training down south. I can't recall any connection between the Chase Farm that Mutley referred to and medicine - I'll keep working on it though, in the meantime it might be work an email to Gedling Borough Council, they should be able to give a definitive answer to it.

BG

Famous for offering help & advice

Mutley

To quote:

"This is the link I was looking for regarding the Chase Farm site at Gelding.
    Maybe a local can explain it".

Chase Farm is the name of an actual Farm off Mapperley Plains & borders the former Gedling Colliery site. I presume that the land from Chase Farm is being developed as part of the Gedling Colliery build.
    We don`t know of any old hospital buildings in that vicinity as it still is (just) fairly rural.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    Mutley

To quote:

"This is the link I was looking for regarding the Chase Farm site at Gelding.
    Maybe a local can explain it".

Chase Farm is the name of an actual Farm off Mapperley Plains & borders the former Gedling Colliery site. I presume that the land from Chase Farm is being developed as part of the Gedling Colliery build.
    We don`t know of any old hospital buildings in that vicinity as it still is (just) fairly rural.

Mitch
    Mitch

Just a thought, if it's just off Mapperley Plains could it be linked with the old Mapperely mental hospital??

BG

caliope

Thank you for your help, everyone!

I'm glad to be able to confirm that the rounded building was part of a Nottingham hospital and the fact that it was a women's hospital ties in nicely to my mum's midwifery training. Perhaps she did complete part of her training in Enfield as I know my mother did live in the London area for a bit before emigrating. I just always assumed that Chase Farm Hospital was in Nottingham because she never mentioned going to London to finish training. I've remembered the rest of the words in the little song she would sometimes sing and wonder now if Chase Farm may have been some sort of nursing college now that I know there is no hospital in Nottingham with that name.

I'll try an email to the Gedling Borough Council as suggested, BG, and see if they can help. It's funny you should mention old Mapperely mental hospital as my mum was a psychiatric nursing supervisor.

Mutley

Blimey Mate!

I am a Londoner now living in Portugal and Nottingham is way off my beaten track. But the thread has been interesting and I wish you much luck.

caliope

Thank you, Mutley, for your interest and kind wishes.

I've asked a colleague at work about Chase Farm as she did her medical training in Nottingham and spent part of her time at Mapperely Mental Hospital, but she doesn't recall a Chase Farm at all and thinks it must have been the one in Enfield.

BG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast