Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ROY BERRINGTON

Hi
    My name is Roy Berrington
    My first job when I left Roundhill School in August 1965 was at H A Hamshaws Parker Drive, I didn't really know about Humberstone Gate, I was in the Parts department, My manager was George Cross, it's a long time now but some of the folks I repember are:
    George Conlin, a Driver, he was a characture, his hair was well greased and hated anyone to touch it, two things stuck in me mind with him, once, he had to collect something from London, he was gone two days, and returned saying he had sleped in the Morris 1000 van, couldn't find the place he had to go, and once he went to deliver a commercial gearbox, he had not tied it down and it had fell out the back of the van, because it was so heave and couldn't lift it back in, he stopped a bus going to Parker drive and rolled it on to the low step and the bus stopped out side to rollit off again.
    Sales:
    Derrick Allen,

Service:
    Derrick Macullock (Mac), Sid Scothern, Colin Brown

Parts:
    Tom Low, Roger Sowerbutts, Terry Bodicote, Terry Heighton, William (Bill) Rouse,

Welford Road
    Service:
    Allen Hacket, he wrote a bit in the leicester mercury.
    https://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n51063090/
    Parts:
    David Lawance,

David Hankey

Hi, Roy,

1965 is well after the period my grandfather worked there as he left for Wales in 1935, however, the stories you relate are very interesting and I am sure those researching the Company will know some of the personnel you mention.

Regards,

David

David Hankey

Hello Fellow Contributors to this thread.

I have received news today after searching for many years and thinking that it was all a forlorn hope and lost cause that Lord Lonsdale's 'Yellow Rolls-Royce' is alive and well. The vehicle is in the UK undergoing some renovation work and hopefully in the Spring of 2014 will be on show again.

It seems my grandfather drove this motor care from H A Hamshaw, coachbuilders, of Humberstone Gate, Leicester to the estate of the 'Yellow Earl' on 23rd June 1923 a trip of 200 miles!! It must have been a great spectacle as the bright yellow and black trimmed vehicle travelled all that way. I guess many heads were turned at seeing such a dazzling motor car unlike the mundane all black horseless carriages of the day.

I understand this masterpiece of engineering has clocked a mere 97,000 miles in it's 90 year history with the Earl putting approximately 70,000 on it before he died in 1944. The main reason for this is that it is understood as the Earl was such a lover of the "turf" he and his car visited every racecourse in England.

It is my fervent wish to see these beauty in the flesh next year. It will be a very special and most poignant day for me but one I am looking forward to with great relish and anticipation.

joanned

Hi there
    I think Clifford Randal use to have a lift with a young mechanic from Barsby called Brian Dennis. He also worked here from about 1957 to 1965.
    Does anyone remember him?

Best Wishes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123