Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    David Hankey

Default H A HAMSHAW, Humberstone Gate, Leicester

I'm looking for any information on H A HAMSHAWS, Coachbuilders of Humberstone Gate, Leicester.

My grandfather EDWARD HANKEY worked there in 1920's before moving to Aberystwyth in 1935.

The story in the family is that he drove a yellow Rolls Royce to Lord Lonsdale's estate in Cumbria. I guess this was quite a sight and epic journey in those days!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David

Jan1954

According to The National Archives, a great deal of information from 1880 to 1961 has been deposited with the Leicester Records Office.

David Hankey

Hi, Jan,

Many thanks for that, I'll have to visit the LRO next time I'm that way and see what I can dig up.

Regards,

David

Knowledgeable and helpful

David

When I worked in Leicester (1962-1968) Hamshaws were in Welford Road, in what were then fairly modern garage premises. In fact my brother-in-law was a mechanic there around the same time. I imagine that this was the same company as the one in Humbsrtone Gate and that it had moved into new premises. But by the 1960s coachbuilding had morphed into bodyshop work! A lot less glamorous!

regards
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

PaulPen

[QUOTE=David Hankey;201838][I]I'm looking for any information on H A HAMSHAWS, Coachbuilders of Humberstone Gate, Leicester.

My grandfather EDWARD HANKEY worked there in 1920's before moving to Aberystwyth in 1935.

The story in the family is that he drove a yellow Rolls Royce to Lord Lonsdale's estate in Cumbria. I guess this was quite a sight and epic journey in those days!!Quote]

David, Hamshaws ,that is a famous old name in motoring circles here in Leicester .They were Morris (another famous old name ) dealers and had quite a few sites over town,for service ,sales and parts .Sadly now slipped away like lots of others,but even futher back they were coachbuilders,something I had 'nt known,till I Googled it.

" Est in 1865 ,Started motor body building in 1907 and ceased in 1926,they then became distributers of Morris,Riley and Vanden Plas Princess cars."
    there are several mentions of bodies built for important clients on Rolls-Royce cars ,so that ties in nicely with your family story as your grandad was delivering it to Lord Lonsdale.
    Regards,Paul

oxo

Default H. A. Hamshaws ltd. Humberstone Gate, Leic.

Hello, My name is Robert Eustaace and your request for information with regard to Hamshaws has prompted this reply.
    i worked as an assistant Coach Trimmer at the Firm as a School leaver in 1957. I remember some of the people who worked there, and received much information from the Coach Trimmer whom I asisted.
    The firm at that time was owned by the British Motor Corporation.
    Coaches were made at the premises, and I beleive that Lord Lonsdale did business there.
    I was told that the coach work had to be done in Lonsdale Yellow, which was the Lonsdale Family Livery.
    If you would like to correspond, do so,

David Hankey

Thank you all for your replies and snippets of information. I intend going to the Leicester Records Office as I have found some references to documents
    to do with Hamshaws. Should prove very interesting.

Regards,

David

oxo

Default hamshaws

i commenced work at hamshaws garage, at Humberstone Gate Leicester on leaving school in the month of August, 1957.
    i wished to learn the Trade of Upholstry.
    The Youth Employment Officer discouraged me from an aprenticeship with an Upholstry business as he said that he beleived the trade was about to go out of existance.
    The reason he provided in his wisdom, was that the modern trend in furniture was toward mass produced tubilar and moulded fiber glass items, and therefore the skills of old were no longer of future use.
    The works Manager was mr. Bill Stubley, and his Assistant was Roland Glover.
    I was allocated the job of Assistant Coach Trimmer, and the Craftsman to teach me the work was Mr. Cliff Randal.
    He had learnt the Trade from leaving school, and was an exellent Coach trimmer.
    He provided me with many stories about the people who had worked there.
    His favourite character was a past forman named Mr. Orme, who apparently was an ammature inventor
    Another character he spoke of was a Mr. Dennis Reed.
    Mr. Reed had been a member of The Leicester Secular Society, which had premises in Humberstone Gate.
    The Trimming Shop was on the second floor.
    also on the second floor was the Sign Writers Dept.
    On the first floor was the Car Cleaning Area where a one armed man called Harry, who always had a pipe in his mouth, and a man called Stan Weekly,
    he was balding with glasses and rode an old bicycle,worked.
    Both Harry and Stan would be detailed to polish and groom any car that that salesmen intended to sell, and their work was immaculate.
    Also on the First floor was the Store.
    The store was manned by M.Jack Makepeace, he was only able to move around on walking sticks and would spend his time commanding the movements of his assistant, Mr. David Laurance. If you want more info. let me Know.

David Hankey

Dear Oxo many thanks for your replies and how interesting to hear of your experiences especially after what the Youth Employment Officer had told you.

My real interest goes back to the 1920's when my grandfather was employed there and I am particularly interested to learn more about any business the company received from Lord Lonsdale.

I would appreciate any further details you might have on this front.

Kind regards,

David

oxo

Default H. A. Hamshaws ltd. Humberstone Gate, Leic.

Hi David, Part 1
    Reference the period 1920s.
    I did not join the Firm untill 1957. though Mr. Clifford Randle had been employed there during that period.
    The garage was situated between the Lewis arcade (which was acually a passage with steps leading ddown from the old lane at the rear to Humberstone Gate.)and the Manchester Working Men,club.
    Humberstone Gate at the time was divded as a duel carriegeway, with raised concrete flower beds; these beds are now situated at the area of Lime Kiln Lock near the Abbey Park Road.
    Directly opposit the building was The Bell Hotel, and situated in the central reservation was a Gentlemens subteranian lavatory. As a child, i remember there had also been a Tram stop there,on the central reservation, near the lavatory.
    The main work, ie. Mechanics, Body work, Ellectrics and paintwork were done in a seperate building across the lane at the rear.
    The head painters name was Charllie, The work had to be worked with wet and dry fine emery cloth between each layer untill the required finish had been achieved.The paint shop was on the Second floor.
    On the first floor was the Body shop where the panel beaters would beat the sheet metal with rounded conical mallets.
    They would sometimes have to make exhaust pipes and silencers.
    these would be made of copper to restrict or dull the sound of the car engine, and were expensive.
    The Head Craftsman in the Body shop,s name was Mr. Ted Tune, and his Assistant,s name was Mr. Bob Chesterton.
    an Aprentice also worked with them. I do not remember his name but he rode a Norton Motor Cycle and was fond of visiting the Peak District on it.
    On the Ground floor which was always on full veiw to the passing Public, who used the Lane as a short cut to Lewis,s and Marks and Spencers and frequented by a man with no legs, an accordienist, and a weight lifter.
    was where the Grease Monkey, a man whose name was Mr. Len Weaver worked.
    The team of Mechanics was too large to remember, I only have an immage of the Forman in my mind.
    However I do remember Mr. Bob Allen, the Ellectricion on account of his untidy work bench; his boast was the inspite of the apparent chaos of his work space, he never lost his kit, and always able to find whatever was required.
    Of interest to you reference the period of interest, is The Wheel Wright,s Gallery.
    The Gallery was at First Floor level and overlooked the Mechanical Working Area. All the old Wheel making machinery was on the Gallery, but in 1957, it was nothing more than an Industrial Museum. If you want Part 2, let me know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast