Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    David Hankey

Default H A HAMSHAW, Humberstone Gate, Leicester

Hi, Oxo,

Thanks for that, please post Part 2. I certainly remember the location of Hamshaws and some of the nearby properties such as the Bell Hotel and Lewis's on the corner with Gallowtree Gate.

Regards,

David

oxo

Default hamshaws,ltd. part two

thanks for the request for part two.
    the coach trimmer, mr. clifford randal would sometimes provide information about the attiudes of the employees.
    i was told that the greaser lived in syston street, at that time the longest street in leicester, and that his life style was simple and uncomplicated.
    that he believed that all you needed to get through life was a coal fire in the grate, a few chairs to sit on and a rag rug on the floor.
    he would often visit the nearby abbey park,with his wife and son, and they would make their way to a large tree near the canal.
    the tree was the largest in that area of the park, and at that time, had a circular seat around it.
    Len and his family percieved the tree as their own and would feel put out if others were sitting there.
    so fond of the tree were the family that they spent their anual holidays there with sandwiches and a flask of tea.
    another character was a welshman who worked in the paint shop.
    he spent his spare time wandering the countryside at the weekends, and would often recite passages from the rubiat of omar kayham, he was also fond of beer.
    at the time i worked there, coach building had ceased, however, coach chassis were brought from coventry to be built on.
    the man who drove the chassis to leicester was harry grommit.
    he would have to drive from coventry to leicester open to the weather.
    i seem to remember him wearing a duffel coat and scarf and a sort of leather jacket without arms.
    mr. clifford randal said that lord lonsdale had indroduced the lonsdale belt for boxing.
    he once showed to me a wooden shield, it was about eight or ten inches in length and covered with different samples of paint.
    he explained that the aprentices in the past would make the shields, then take them to the paint shop for a lick of paint.
    over a period of time, a spectrum of colours would accumalate,
    then they would be sanded down so that a marbling effect would develop.
    anyway, mr. c. randal pointed out to me the lonsdale yellow that was a part of his shield.
    i seem to remember that the lonsdale yellow was not a primary yellow, but had a tint on orange in it.
    my first job in the trimming shop was to take stock of the upholstry materials
    for the annual stock taking.
    i was shown the old coach trimming books that were in the french language.
    the materials were original, and dated back to when the premises made coaches.
    if you require part 3 let me know. thankyou.

Knowledgeable and helpful

David et al
    I sent a copy of your memories to my brother-in-law Keith Essam who also worked at Hamshaws in the 1950s/60s. Here is the text of his reply which he is happy for me to publish
    "Hi Tony, Many of the people refered to I remember well. Len Weaver
    was the 'greaser' and did in fact live in Syston St. and generally
    walked to Humberstone Gate to work, only getting a lift from a couple
    of guys who lived in Thurmaston and Syston, didnt go away on
    Holiday(tight git) and was as stated a lover of Abbey Park. Cliff
    Randal the coach trimmer also lived in Syston. Harry Grommit, was the
    company 'driver' collecting and delivering cars, chassis from
    coventry(yes in all weathers) spare parts and and was the proud
    driver of Hamshaws Austin Gypsy recovery vehicle, not many people
    were allowed to use this,I think I only ever went out with on 2
    trips,in 5 years that they had it whilst I was there before moving to
    Leicester City Transport.Another guy that I worked with was called
    Bob Pendleton,lived in Queniborough,who right up to retirement rode
    and Ariel m/c with a box for a sidecar to and from work,he never
    cleaned any of it only changed Oil and Plugs when necessary. Ive seen
    him arrive for work looking like a snowman, if he took his wife out
    she would sit on a folded mattress with several cushions for a seat
    and a blanket over,often sharing the box with rabbits, chickens and
    even Bobs Jack Russells. Memories Memories,
    regards, Keith"

Hope that you find this of interest.
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

oxo

Hi there thanks for the last message, i believe that |I must have worked at Hamshaws at the same time as Tony Vines.
    I remember the name Bob Pendleton, but can not remember who he was.
    The Foreman s name who was in charge of the Mechanical Dept. was Norman, but can not be sure.
    Mr. Clifford Randal did live at Syston, and he travelled to Leicester on the train.
    At that time, it was possible to use the Railways locally.
    There was a train station at the Belgrave Road where Sainsburys now stands.
    You could take a train from Belgrave Road to the Humberstone Station situated opposite Saint Barnabas Road.
    Or a train from Humberstone Road to London Road Station.
    The Central Railway line to Birstal etc..
    Clifford Randal was full of stories, one was about the Gypsies who would visit Holwell Mouth to collect the Spring water, as it was tinted with iron.
    The Gypsies would use the water for their Herbal Remedies.
    The other story was that the firm, H.A.Hamshaw had an association with Count Tolstoy of Russia, and that he had been married to a daughter of the owner.
    Whether or not this is true, I am unable to verify, however, Clifford told me that there is a grave in Rearsby churchyard that has a Coach Wheel as a memorial, and that the grave contains the remains of ,I not sure whether he said Mr. H,A.Hamshaw or Count Tolstoy himself.
    One of these days I may check this out.
    He also said that was why one of the Pubs at Rearsby is called The Rearsby Wheel.
    Some other information reference Rearsby is the origin of the Rearsby Loaf, but i shall not go into this unless you want me to as it does not concern the subject of H.A.Hamshaw.
    I used to see some beautiful cars that were brought to the trimming shop.
    One was an Austin Princess, which was used by the Directors of W.A.Wadkins, Woodwork Machinery Company of Leicester.
    Another car that had a permanent place in the Trimming Shop was a Maroon Riley Pathfinder, and i regarded this car as one of the best for its looks and Finish.
    The Riley Pathfinder was owned by Mr. Billy Butlin, and kept there permanently for his use whenever he came to Leicester.
    It was never driven at any other time.
    On the rare occasions when Mr. Billy Butlin did call at Leicester, Mr. Clifford Randal would have to accompany him whilst he drove it.
    On the return of the car to the Trimming Shop, Clifford Randal would place some cigarettes on the Sewing Machine table.
    The cigarettes had been given to him by Mr. Billy Butlin.
    Clifford would pass them on to the other workers as he did not smoke.
    Another car that I recall was a Riley Two Point Six.
    It was impressive, and I believe belonged to the widow of a Lawyer.
    The owner was always having it modified, it was full of mirrors, wing mirrors, driving mirrors and vanity mirrors.
    Hope that you have found this of interest.
    I am unable to provide further information as early the following year, I was put into the Baking Trade.
    In those days your Parents decided what job you did and also took the trouble to find you one.
    If you did not work they would think that there was something mentally wrong with you.
    Best Wishes,
    oxo.

oxo

sorry but i forgot to mention Jock, who used to move the cars that were on the ground floor in the main, forward part,of the building, he was a very pleasent man and always polite and well behaved.
    oxo

Oxo

As I said in my post above, it was my brother-in-law Keith Essam who worked there, not me. He was a mechanic.

cheers
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

oxo

thanks for the information. Keith Essam, not Tony Vines.
    oxo.

ROY BERRINGTON

Hi if you still there
    I worked for hamshaws 1965-1980
    i managed to find a 50th anniversary book if that helps
    https://picasaweb.google.co.uk/royber...shawsLeicester

Hi Roy

Still here! As you will have read it was not me but my brother-in-law who worked at Hamshaws. Not sure whether he was still there in 1965 though. However I have forwarded your link to him (he is away at the moment) and he may comment. An interesting book to anyone who knew Hamshaws!

regards

David Hankey

Very interesting read, Roy, many thanks for sharing.

Regards,

David Hankey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast