Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charles Burns

colashbury

Default Charles Burns

Just received a marriage certificate of my GGG Grandfather Charles Burns.He married a lady by the name of Harriet Cooper on the 28 July 1872.Was hoping for there ages but it just says minor for them both.Their Fathers names are Charles Burns(officer in customs) and Thomas Cooper (book keeper).There is an address of Collage lane,I presume Liverpool.Can anyone find these families in order for me to get a Mothers name and their both ages.Appreciated....Colin

sonstar

Was that the exact spelling of harriet - or could it be 2 T's

Also... silly question i guess, but what was a minor back then is that under 18 or younger?

colashbury

Default Hi Sonstar

Looking up on Google in England,it is a person under 18.Was not so sure myself.Quite frustrating though that they have not put an age.Harriet is spelt as that,just one t.Someone may have put it as 2 at some point.I have a relative that the name changed on every census for approx 5 years.This is sometimes where the difficulties of searching are....Colin...........

sonstar

i had one of those 2 with my jesse bentley - and they had mispelt it the girlie way in one census heehee!! and Jane as a male, that threw me lots!!!

sonstar

Ps - i am looking into the census records for 1881 charles and harriet burns, i assume they lived together after they married - it may take some time as there are many of both names - but when i find some ill let you know asap!!

sonstar

there are many charles burns born in between 1872 - 18, so this may take some time.. but i will keep checking

im sure someone else may have some super dooper way of checking quicker haha!!

Reputation beyond repute

A minor was under the age of 21

colashbury

Default Hi Sonstar

They were married in 1872 so it is pointless checking them dates.If you look at a minor being under 18 to which it is in the UK Peter,you are prob looking at about 1855.I am hoping that someone can find the 1871 census with them in as a family.Maybe at the address of College Lane.I am really hoping to get the Mothers names and age hopefully....

A minor is under 18 now in the UK but in 1872 it was under 21. I seem to remember it was changed just after my 21st and I was really annoyed that people three years younger than me could suddenly vote as well!!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

What was Charles Junior's occupation listed as on the marriage certificate? And was Harriet just listed as spinster?

I have been looking in the 1871 census but although there were two Harriet Coopers in Lancashire living with a father called Thomas, neither Thomas was a bookkeeper. Of course she might have been working away from home as a servant or some such.

There is a Charles W Burns, 18, living as a boarder in Prospect St, West Derby, Liverpool, born Liverpool, who is described as a wire fence [cutter?]

Our best bet is to try and find an earlier Charles who was a customs officer.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast