Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    cirstybewick

Default a kind help to look up at library!!

hi
    would a kind person living in luton help me please.
    i was wondering if someone would do a look up at the library i am trying to find any information on a sidney and kate smith kate's madien name was palmer i do not know there births nor there deaths but i belive they were married in luton in 1906. on my grandfather's marrieage cert it has sidney smith as father decased he married winifred in 1938 in luton. on my grandfather's birth cert the father is not mentioned it is just blank so sidney may possiably not be my grandfather's father.
    kate smith was a hat finisher.
    on my grandfather's birth cert he is called dennis henry horwell smith born feb 1917 in luton, now what i am not sure of is why does he have the name horwell mentioned i woud take that as being a surname not a name (what do you think?) is this a clue to a father's surname?? i have mentioned the name horwell to my father and he never knew of the name just thought he was dennis henry smith.
    so i am hoping that a very kind person from the area could do some checking for me as i live in margate and would find it difficult to get up there.

looking for:
    sidney smith possiable born around 1860-1877
    kate smith (palmer) born around 1871-1879
    my grandfather was dennis henry horwell smith 1917 died 1993
    he married winnifred maud grindrod born 1918 died 1987

kind regards
    cirsty

cirstybewick

maybe i should of mentiond that my grandfather was born and living at dumfries street luton.

cirsty

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Marriages Dec 1906
    GARRETT William Luton 3b 893
    HELEY Sarah Ann Luton 3b 893
    PALMER Kate Luton 3b 893
    SMITH Sidney Luton 3b 893

Marriage info from FreeBMD this might give you dates of birth, it will give you fathers names and occupations.

Sandy

cirstybewick

great thanks

cirsty

Smile

Births Dec 1876
    Palmer Kate Luton 3b 426
    Births Sep 1892
    Palmer Kate Elizabeth Luton 3b 439

Search of FreeBMD gives only these 2 Kate Palmer I'd go for the First one.
    Bit of a difference for Sidney Smith there are quite a few

Births Dec 1871
    Smith Sidney Charles Luton 3b 400
    Births Sep 1875
    Smith Sidney Thomas Luton 3b 435
    Births Mar 1876
    SMITH Sidney Robert Luton 3b 457
    Births Dec 1879
    Smith Sidney Henry Luton 3b 437
    There are more after this date

Sandy

Smile

"on my grandfather's birth cert he is called dennis henry horwell smith born feb 1917 in luton, now what i am not sure of is why does he have the name horwell mentioned i woud take that as being a surname not a name (what do you think?) is this a clue to a father's surname?? i have mentioned the name horwell to my father and he never knew of the name just thought he was dennis henry smith."

Horwell could be a family name passed down the generations, it is usually a mothers maiden name at some stage. I bet when you get back a few generations you'll find it.

Sandy

cirstybewick

hi

thanks for that i never even thought of horwell being past down the family.

there is quite afew sidney smith's mmmm ganna have to marriage cert.

cheers thanks for youe help.

cirsty

davidcarca

There's a death of a Sidney Smith age 31 in Luton registration district in the June quarter 1915. If it's the right Sidney it would explain why father is left blank on Dennis' 1917 birth cert. In 1901 there's a 17 year Sidney, son of David & Roselia, who has an elder brother Henry, 26.

Apart from Horwell being a family name, the other thought is that it was a broad hint as to the father if Dennis was indeed illegitimate

David

cirstybewick

hi
    thanks for that i thought that as well being a hint to the father's name.
    i was told by an auntie that my grandfather's parents were quite old and that he had to be looked after by auntie's and uncles's???
    if sidney and jate got married in 1906 then it can't be the sidney that died before 1906???
    mmmmm

cheers
    cirsty

JPBeds

In both the 1911 & 1917 Luton Directories there is a Thomas Smith living at 39 Dumfries Street Luton.
    Also in 1911 a James Smith lives at number 19 & a Levi Smith was at no 69.

Only James Smith age 69 & wife Martha 55 are at any of those addresses on 1901 census
    RG13/1514; Folio: 78; Page: 16 covers part of Dumfries Street, parish of St Saviour

There is a Thomas Smith with wife Emma & 11 children including a Sidney T Smith age 25 living at 55 Tavistock Street, Luton on 1901 census. RG13/1516; Folio: 81; Page: 22.

Also a Kate Palmer age 24 lives at 28 Windmill Street with parents Thomas & Eliza.
    RG13/1518; Folio: 21; Page: 33.
    They are still there in 1911 & 1917

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast