Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Default 1851 census - Truro

Regular viewers of the Cornwall forum will know that Samuel Treganza and his wife Jane are a thorn in my genealogical side!
    Would someone with local knowledge please look at the 1851 census
    HO107 piece 1910 folio 221 page 9 - Goodwives Lane, Truro
    and see if they can decipher Jane's place of birth. I will not put ideas into your head by saying what I - and the archivist at the Record Office - think, because I remain unconvinced - and since I cannot trace Jane anywhere, I would appreciate fresh eyes!
    Many thanks!

Lincoln Lad

Could it be St Winnow?
    Must admit to not having much cornish knowledge, but that is what it looks like to me.
    If you look at the previous page, the W of Winnow looks like the W of Washer Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Lad View Post
    Could it be St Winnow?
    Must admit to not having much cornish knowledge, but that is what it looks like to me.
    If you look at the previous page, the W of Winnow looks like the W of Washer Woman.
    It could be - the first part of the word looks like it - but I have searched those parish records without success ....!!!

AnnB

Hello Barbara

I thought it said St Wennor, so I took a look at https://cornovia.org.uk/ihpnc/ for Wennor and found -
    Wenner, St – see Gwinear (HLS, APV6156, 1516); Wynyer, 1469-70; St Wenner, 1516; Gwynnyar, 1613; Gwynierd, Gwynnierd, c.1630; Gwynnyer, 1641; Winear, 1671; Gwinnear, 1741; Gwinyar, 1768; Gwinear, 1787; Gwinier, 1794; Gwinear, Gwiniear, 1795; Gwinear, 1798, 1819, 1884

Any use?

Best wishes
    Ann

Thanks Ann - any suggestions gratefully received at this point! It does look as though it ends in "er" to me, but this lady is proving very elusive ....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Peep View Post
    Hello Barbara,

Just a thought but the Cornwall FHS have a huge database so why not contact them to see if they will do a search for you.
    Thanks for that - I did call into the CFHS library whilst I was in Truro to look up various things on their database. Of course, I cannot now remember if I looked at Samuel and Jane this year - because this has been going on for some time ...! I know I have in the past, but I expect they are constantly adding to the data they hold, so it would probably be worth giving them a try. I am really at a loss with this - I have the CD of the Cornwall Phillimore marriages and cannot find their marriage on that, so I suppose it is just a case of working through all the parishes not included on that - or facing up to the fact that they may never have married .... and there are precedents for that in this family, but fortunately after 1841 and the census - and they were honest about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Peep View Post
    Send an email to Ann Hicks (Chairman) and ask for her help. She is a nice lass and if she can help, I am sure she will.
    Thanks - I'll do that!