mlarooij

Default ELLIOTT, KING & LAURIE/LOWRY/LOWRIE etc

Seeking any information of the families of Alexander KING who married Isabella ELLOTT 1798 at Longformacus, Berwick, both otp, & their son Adam b c1811 Cranshaws & who married 1831 Jean/Jane LAURIE born Oldhamstocks parents unknown, or any members of their families. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by mlarooij View Post
    Seeking any information of the families of Alexander KING who married Isabella ELLOTT 1798 at Longformacus, Berwick, both otp, & their son Adam b c1811 Cranshaws & who married 1831 Jean/Jane LAURIE born Oldhamstocks parents unknown, or any members of their families. TIA

The Scottish Genealogy Society book of pre-1855 memorial inscriptions (BEW vol 3) has the following inscription under Longformacus. Note that this won't be the exact wording, they always reorganise them.

"Beatrix Oliver, spouse of William Elliot late shepherd in Byrecleugh d. at Friardykes 10 Apr 1811 age 66. Dau Isabel, spouse of Alexander King d. 8 Sept 1812 age 33. William Elliot at Greenlaw 24 Mar 1813 age 75, an elder for more than 30 years of the Secession Church."

That last line may explain why you are having trouble fining these folk. Scotlands People is based on the Register of the Church of Scotland - some Ministers noted everything in their parish, others didn't.

I've checked Greenlaw, there's nothing there. You could check the NAS cattalogue, sometimes their records turn up there (see my sticky in General Scottish on Archives).
    There's information on the (important) Oldhamstocks non-conformist church and its registers here https://www.clerkington.plus.com/GENU...cks/index.html

Lesley

mlarooij

Default ELLIOTT, KING & LAURIE/LOWRY/LOWRIE etc

Lesley, thank you so much! This is wonderful information. No chance I could access this myself. I think you are right about the Church. I wonder if Scotlandspeople will ever have this info. I suspect all the families I am dealing with are non-coms. Just to make it worse Adam KING's wife, Jean LAWRIE died on shipboard in 1860 coming here so no certificate in either country. I found she had a sister Helen, but that is all.

Cheers,
    Marion