WK1937

Default Marriage annullment

If a marriage is annulled would there be a researchable entry of it somewhere?

Many thanks, Maureen.

Geoffers

Possibly.

What you may be able to find depends on when this was and which church.

Just to clarify things are you specifically interested in annulment or divorce?

WK1937

Thank you Geoffers - my enquiry is regarding annullment as I understand the marriage was annulled with no divorce. I have no idea of the Church or date although it could be around the second world war years.

Regard Maureen.

Reputation beyond repute

Petitions for nullity or annulment of marriage were relatively rare. If a decree of nullity was granted, it was as though the marriage had never taken place. This could have serious implications for any children born of such a marriage, who would be deemed illegitimate. A decree of nullity could be granted on four grounds:
    Impotence, provided the condition existed before the marriage and was permanent;
    Absence of Consent, where consent had been obtained through fraud or coercion, or insanity of one of the parties at the time of the marriage;
    Breach of Statute, where the parties were within the prohibited degrees of relationship, or where one or both had not been free to marry at the time of the marriage this would include cases where a divorced person re-married before they had obtained their decree absolute;
    Bigamy, in which case the injured party had to prove that the first marriage was valid

Source - National Archives

To the best of my knowledge, you enquire of the same people as for a divorce - the Principal Registry of the Family Division.

You have presumably checked the National Archives catalogue (J77)?

WK1937

Thanks Peter for your input - as you suggested I will now look at the National Archives
    (J77).

Regards Maureen

Reputation beyond repute

I forgot to give you this research guide:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...?sLeafletID=53

There's only a tiny chance of finding a ww2 vintage case at TNA. However, the Principal Registry of the Family Division should have a full list (not case papers)

WK1937

Thanks Peter, I will have a look.

Maureen