burtness

Default Marriage certificate information

Can anyone tell me if a marriage certificate would indicate whether or not the fathers of the couple are deceased?
    Laura

Mutley

It normally does.

The GRO help and advice here
    tells you the content of a marriage certificate.

EDIT: On reading the link after I had posted, it does not actually say that deceased is included.
    However, on the ones I have, it is in brackets in column 7.
    Last edited by Mutley; 19-09-2008 at 4:50 PM. Reason: Added Edit

busyglen

I would point out that whilst it does often show that a father is deceased, it can also be very misleading. In one of my instances, the father was shown as deceased, when he was very much alive. The son was underage, so said his father was dead in order to avoid the fact that he should have had parental consent. I have also had a couple of instances where the fathers name was given, but not that they were actually deceased.

Oh, that it was all cut and dried and you could believe what you read. However, it wouldn't be half as much fun trying to sort it all out.

Good luck.

Glenys

burtness

Default Marriage cert

Thanks Glenys and Mutley!

sindylin

It was missed off a lot of the time. the registrar often just asked for father's names but didn't ask if they were deceased, it was up to the couple to tell him. I have a lot where I KNOW the father(s) were dead yet the word deceased isn't on the certificate.