Jessica1877

Default Feeneys of Dromahaire Co. Leitrim Ireland

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any information on Feeney's of Dromahaire, Co. Leitrim Ireland circa 1800's?

I am descended from Mary Anne Feeney, born 1867 in Dromahaire, who was married in 1889 to Henry Steer (b.1868 Croydon) and had her first few children in Cork then one, my next ancestor down, Frederick, in York before the family settled down south/Southampton coast area.

This is Mary Anne Feeney's tree:

Unknown Mr Feeney married Rose (?) who was 90 in 1901 (Ire. Census)
    She had at least two sons, James and Michael. In two records (the census and Griffiths) I confirmed and found the Byrnes to be of Money Duff, and Feeney's of Greenaun, as listed below, but little clue beyond that.

Unknown Rose 1811-19?? Patrick ?
    Feeney------------(nee ?) Byrne-------?
    __ |______ (Farmer)___|____
    | | | |
    Michael James------Mary Peter
    Feeney Feeney | Byrne Byrne
    b.1851 b.1841 | b.1851 b.1839
    m.Mary Greenaun | Moneyduff
    >Michael (Farmer)__|________
    >Kate | | |
    >Bridget John Mary Ann Eliza (Elizabeth/Lizzie)
    Feeney Feeney Feeney
    Married: Married:
    Henry (?)
    Steer McSharry

Any information would be most appreciated. I am especially interested in the fate of Mary Ann Feeney (b.1867-died between 1919 and 1967) who ended up left with her kids when her husband went off and then re married though he was still married to his Mary. At some point Mary ended up 'in reduced circumstances' in Manchester. I imagine this was in the 1920's or 30's; so she died at some point therein, there after but where? I think, she must have ended up back in Ireland as my search in UK records drew a blank.

I would also like to learn more about the Byrnes!

Thanks

Bye for now

Jessica S. Fox

I'd

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica1877 View Post
    Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any information on Feeney's of Dromahaire, Co. Leitrim Ireland circa 1800's?

I am descended from Mary Anne Feeney, born 1867 in Dromahaire, who was married in 1889 to Henry Steer (b.1868 Croydon) and had her first few children in Cork then one, my next ancestor down, Frederick, in York before the family settled down south/Southampton coast area.

This is Mary Anne Feeney's tree:

Unknown Mr Feeney married Rose (?) who was 90 in 1901 (Ire. Census)
    She had at least two sons, James and Michael. In two records (the census and Griffiths) I confirmed and found the Byrnes to be of Money Duff, and Feeney's of Greenaun, as listed below, but little clue beyond that.

Unknown Rose 1811-19?? Patrick ?
    Feeney------------(nee ?) Byrne-------?
    __ |______ (Farmer)___|____
    | | | |
    Michael James------Mary Peter
    Feeney Feeney | Byrne Byrne
    b.1851 b.1841 | b.1851 b.1839
    m.Mary Greenaun | Moneyduff
    >Michael (Farmer)__|________
    >Kate | | |
    >Bridget John Mary Ann Eliza (Elizabeth/Lizzie)
    Feeney Feeney Feeney
    Married: Married:
    Henry (?)
    Steer McSharry

Any information would be most appreciated. I am especially interested in the fate of Mary Ann Feeney (b.1867-died between 1919 and 1967) who ended up left with her kids when her husband went off and then re married though he was still married to his Mary. At some point Mary ended up 'in reduced circumstances' in Manchester. I imagine this was in the 1920's or 30's; so she died at some point therein, there after but where? I think, she must have ended up back in Ireland as my search in UK records drew a blank.

I would also like to learn more about the Byrnes!

Thanks

Bye for now

Jessica S. Fox

I'd
    Jessica. I came across this post by accident. I'm a Byrne, from Moneyduff, and we still live in the townland. As far as I know, Pat Byrne was my great grandfather.

https://irishgraveyards.ie/search.php...160&pagenum=15 This is the local cemetery where Pat and Joseph, my grandfather, are buried.

I don't have any information on the Feeney's from Greenaun I'm afraid, but I will ask my mother if she knows anything.

All the best

Dolores Byrne

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think this is probably Rose Feeney’s death on 15.6.1901 aged 96 at Stonepark, Dromahaire. (The age was just the informant’s best guess and for someone of that age, could be out by 10 years). The death certificate names her husband as Owen Feeney, a farmer. The informant was Michael, her son, also of Stonepark.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....28/4616405.pdf

There’s no Feeneys in Stonepark in the 1901 census (taken in April 1901) so it looks as though the family had moved to live there from Greenaun North between April and June 1901.

Michael in 1911:

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...nepark/654414/

Having said that, Owen Feeny is listed in Stonepark in Griffiths in 1857. He had plots 1 and 2, totaling around 15 acres. I can’t see Owen’s death in the death records so he may have died before statutory registration began in 1864. The Valuation Revision records will likely say when he died, or at least when a different tenant acquired the farm. They are in the Valuation Office in Dublin but are not on-line yet.

Stonepark is immediately to the south of Greenaun North, so it would be perfectly possible to live in one and farm in the other.
    ELWYN

Hello Dolores!
    Thanks very much for your message! Yes, I haven't been on here in some time and was recently inspired to return to my tree ; I've had to re-register as , though I tried and tried to figure out my old login, to reset password, I couldn't figure out what email I'd used to login, as I've a few for different reasons. Anyway, I've re registered ; I'm the same person! Wow, there's always something new to discover; I started my research with the same enthusiasm and wonder at dates and names and slowly piecing together details all across my tree
    I love the mystery and more yet to be unraveled of the Feeneys & Byrnes!
    Is there anything else you know of Pat Byrne your ancestors? Who did Pat marry? Any clue about her surname?
    I love the name Moneyduff!
    I looked at the link and saw the name Margeret too ; is that Pat's wife?

I look forward to learning more!
    Thank you!
    Jess

Thank Elwyn!
    I haven't been on this forum in ages and was recently inspired to return to my tree
    This is very exciting ; I'm going to do some digging and see where these clues lead; be great to finally have a name for Rose's husband, and maybe someway of finding her marriage.... !

Something of Stonepark rings a bell ... I'm going to re read and go over everything ; thanks very much!
    I hope your research is going well too
    All the best,
    Jess

Hi
    found this Dromahaire baptism its hard to read i cut and tried to cut and past the original but i cant do it

Baptism
    4/2/1867
    Mary Ann Feeney
    of Jas,and Mary Byrne
    other John T???mony and Ann M parlan

Peanut