Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Genevieve

Question Any recommended internet resources for Bedfordshire?

I am researching my HOUSDEN (aka HOWSDEN) ancestors in Bedfordshire, so far mainly Biggleswade.

Can anyone recommend any internet resources specific to the area that might help me to

a) get back beyond 1871 census and civil BMD registration
    b) find historical information on the area

Frank W

Here's a stray for you:

HOUSDEN Thos of Eaton Socon Marr. Sarah ALBONE of Eynesbury, Hunts 1804

Regards..........Frank W

Tim O

Default Beds criminal records

Here is a link to Bedfordshire Court records https://apps.bedfordshire.gov.uk/grd/ there are both Housden and Howsden in there.
    regards Tim

AnnB

You can also search the Bedfordshire and Luton Archives Catalogue in a variety of ways - there is quite a lot of info included with some of the 'hits' https://blars.adlibsoft.com/

Best wishes
    Ann

Reputation beyond repute

You won't find everything you need on the internet. All the Bedfordshire Parish Registers have been transcribed and you can buy copies. The IGI has good coverage but is not an index and not a substitute for the PRs. If you're not familiar with the IGI it needs to be used with a lot of caution.

I'm not clear what the significance of the 1871 census is.

Geoffers

GENUKI is always a good place to look for information. This URL covers Bedfordshire.

What are you stuck on at the moment? Is it at an 1871 census entry?

sarahsmurf

Smile

Hi op.

I am also researching the HOUSDEN name who also came from possibly Bigglewade & Gamlingay.

I'd send you a PM, but being a newbie still finding my way around so will post here for now so it's at least seen.
    Last edited by sarahsmurf; 23-02-2008 at 5:22 PM. Reason: left surname out

davidcarca

What detail do you have and what information are you seeking?

This corner of Beds can be a bit difficult as families moved backwards and forwards into adjacent Cambs and Hunts, making life interesting for researchers. I have a Housden in my tree born Hatley St George Cambs, a couple of miles from Gamlingay, who married in Little Gransden Cambs, and lived subsequently in Great Gransden, Hunts.

David

janbooth

Default HOUSDEN/HOWSDEN in Biggleswade

There are also quite a few HOUSDENs in Biggleswade in the 1861 census and back. In the 1861 census there appear to be 3 families in Biggleswade, namely a William & Mary and their 8 children - he being a Labourer, a James and Ann and their 6 children - again he is a Labourer and a Thomas and Mary and their 3 children - he also a Labourer. There is also a widow called Elizabeth aged 81 who could perhaps be their mother??

In the 1851 census there is also a John and Edith and their 2 daughters - another Ag Lab - as well as the 3 families above - plus a George & Lucy, Ag Lab, aged 68 and 51 respectively plus a James, widower, aged 43, Farm Lab and his 2 sons and 1 grandson. There is also a William and wife Elizabeth, Gardener, both aged 57, plus grandson William and nephew James GIRKINS??

In the 1841 census, there is William & Elizabeth, Gardener, with children Samuel, Thomas & John, plus William & Mary, Gardener, with daughter Harriet living next door to one another. Also George & Lucy, Labourer, with children Thomas, Sam, Ann, George, Sarah, Jane and William. Also a James, Lab, with children George, Sam, Mary and Lucy.

Do any of these ring any bells?? If so, let me know and I will post full details.

Janet

sarahsmurf

Hi David

At the min I'm just wondering that myself as these Housdens now confuse me and I'm not that far back either, so have had to go back to the beginning and work back from the certs my dad, and what I'd had ordered. I was meant to be ringing a possible rellie on the confusion last week but to many b'days and drink got the better of the fam tree confusion.

I had my William Housdens parents as James & Ann (these might have been from my dads cousin can't remember how these names came in the tree but it was a good yr or 2 ago) and thought from what certs. dad had and what matched on the 1901 census was down as born 1849 or 1850 & left it for searching another branch of tree. But I recently ordered the m.cert and showed William Housden (29yr/widower/labourer) & Elizabeth Wagstaff(e) (21yr/spinster) married Feb 1881 and it showed his dad as another William Housden (labourer), which give me a slap in the kisser. So according to his m.cert he was born 1851 or 1852 but I think I couldn't find a birth match to order his birth certificate that matched 1851/2. There's a 1881 census I found somewhere that had a William born Hatley St George that had parents William & Fanny which are now probably his but am uncertain -still- due to the error already and I daren't guarentee it until I get a birth cert to confirm... but if it is then there is a grandchild James in the household with gets me wondering even further where the parents are for that child.

I have probably confused everyone now so will go grab food and see where the things are I found and get back on later if my brain isn't in complete dissarey.

Sarah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast