Lurch Addams

Default Itchen mineral water works

I have a few ancestors who lived in the Itchen area but have recently found a couple of bottles from the above co.

1 a codd bottle and the other in the pic

A google search has produced nothing,anyone have any info on the company
    ie,whereabouts, dates producing to and from,anything really.

Thanks Pete.

Mutley

British History online states there were mineral springs at Swathling. It also seems as if there were many springs and watermills along the River Itchen.
    Though not an answer to your question, the environment agency has produced a rather nice booklet about the River and the quality of the water.
    https://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...hen_783394.pdf

It does mention licences being granted to remove and sell the water, it is more recent (1960's) but they may have some historical information if you try an email.

aland

Default Itchen waterworks

Try www.bitterne.net they may know something, usually very helpful or drop Southampton City Archives a line, google for this, Hampshire archives online is worth a search but it's offline this evening for upgrading. The bottles look quite old so I'm guessing a bottling plant could lie on or near the River Itchen anywhere between Shawford and Southampton.
    There used to be a small reservoir at the end of the runway at Southampton airport although it's only used for fishing now.
    Aland.

aland

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    British History online states there were mineral springs at Swathling. It also seems as if there were many springs and watermills along the River Itchen.
    Though not an answer to your question, the environment agency has produced a rather nice booklet about the River and the quality of the water.

It does mention licences being granted to remove and sell the water, it is more recent (1960's) but they may have some historical information if you try an email.
    Nice leaflet Mutley, those pictures seem strangely close to home !

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by aland View Post
    Nice leaflet Mutley, those pictures seem strangely close to home !
    Thanks, nothing like near my home.

Methinks I was a bit 'out of my depth' on this one.

BTW, An auction site, on the internet, has one of those bottles plus other items for sale at £30 - £50 for the lot.

LynA

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post

I enjoyed the leaflet. By the way, the Woodmill mentioned and illustrated in the leaflet is at Swaythling.

Lynda

aland

Smile Itchen mineral water works

I don't know if we are allowed to do quotes, but here goes anyway.
    The Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 has one sentence,

" At Swathling is a mineral spring, said to be very effacacious for curing diseases of the eye".

Not quite sure what that means ! I wonder what sort of eye diseases would have been around at that time ?

The "Y" was not put in Swaythling until a later date.

Aland

Fordy

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch Addams View Post
    I have a few ancestors who lived in the Itchen area but have recently found a couple of bottles from the above co.

1 a codd bottle and the other in the pic

A google search has produced nothing,anyone have any info on the company
    ie,whereabouts, dates producing to and from,anything really.

Thanks Pete.
    Tons of Mineral Water Works in the Trade Directories. Plenty for Southampton, but none that I can find in Itchen. Looked in 1859, 1898, 1914.

Any idea of the age of the jar?

Lurch Addams

I think the jar is around 1890/1900, but could be a little earlier