Lorna

Default PICKERING/EDMUNDS Marriage/Birth Salford 1859/1856

I am looking for 1 marriage certificate/record and 1 birth certificate/record

1.) marriage record of James PICKERING and Ellen EDMUNDS that is registered in St Simons, Salford, Lancashire 1859.

2) birth record of Mary Ann EDMONDS 1856 Salford, Greengate Lancashire.

I know Ellen Edmunds was born in 1829 and James in 1830. I really need to know Ellen's father and mother. I suspect her father was Charles but until I see the marriage certificate, well, you know.

In 1861, the census records show them living on Phillips street with a 5 year old daughter, Mary Ann and an infant son, John.

I suspect Mary Ann Edmonds b 1856 in Salford Greengate is Ellens daughter but I don't know for sure and I don't know who the father of the child is.

I have spent hours on the internet and looking for microfilm and I can't see that either is available other than through some kind hearted soul performing a genealogical act of kindness.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lorna Rosenstein
    USA

Jan1954

Hello Lorna - welcome to Brit-Gen.

Found this:

James PICKERING & Ellen EDMUNDS - both on the same page.

December quarter 1859, Salford District, volume 8d, page 38.

The certificate may be ordered from the GRO -follow the links in the box on the right-hand side. Will cost you £7.

Jan1954

Also found this:

Birth registration for a Mary Ann EDMONDS

June quarter 1856
    Salford District
    Volume 8d
    Page 46

Lorna

Hello..thanks so much for this. Does the June quarter mean April, May June 1856 or June July August 1856? Also, where can I find the document you refer to Vol 8d pg 46..what is that? As I said, I'm new to British research so I don't know what that referance means..

This is so exciting!!!

Lorna

Jan1954

Hi Lorna,

Yes - June quarter means April to June.

Civil Registration for births, marriages and deaths came into force in England and Wales on 1 July 1837. All such events (well, those that were registered - some were missed, but that's another story...) were and still are recorded in volumes. So as to identify a particular individual, the volume and page number can be checked in their index. FreeBMD is one source or they may be accessed through various pay-per-view websites.

The General Register Office uses the references that I provided to look up their copy of the certificates. These they can then copy onto a certificate for you and post them out. Although they can be ordered online, they cannot be emailed.

Click here and it will tke you to the GRO website wher you may order the certificates. Look to the right of their homepage and you will see a box entitled "Order Certificates". Read their "Frequently Asked Questions" before you do anything and then follow the links to order the certificates.

Good luck!